1988 40hp Evinrude tilt up problems.

sparky15

Seaman Apprentice
To start from the begining...
When I bought the boat the tilt went down fine but when raising the motor I had to help it up. The motor runs while raising but its like it doesn't have enough power.
I then noticed on the trim cylinder where the trim gauge threads into the back was stripped, so I just took off the trim cylinder and capped the bottom of the tilt cylinder where it would feed over to the trim cylinder.
I bought a new tilt motor thinking the old one just wasnt strong enough, and bleed and filled with ATF later finding out its self bleeding and u just have to fill it.
Anyways I feel like the only other things that could be the problem would be the tilt cylinder or the manifold mounted to the bottom of the tilt motor. How does one check these or had anyone had this same issue? I saw in one post that it may be a sticky valve but that post was for a bigger motor.
Please help I would hate to scrap the new tilt motor and assembly for one of those aftermarket tilt units.

Haffiman

Commander
Re: 1988 40hp Evinrude tilt up problems.

'I then noticed on the trim cylinder where the trim gauge threads into the back was stripped, so I just took off the trim cylinder and capped the bottom of the tilt cylinder where it would feed over to the trim cylinder.'

Could you explain this preferably by a pic?

sparky15

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the reply,
Ill try and get a pic later today, but there is a metal hyd. line that goes into one side of the bottom of the tilt cylinder and another line that goes out the bottom on the otherside to the trim cylinder, I put a brass threaded plug in the side that would feed over to the trim cylinder
The guy at the outboard shop said u could do this, but thats not saying it couldnt be wrong.

sparky15

Seaman Apprentice

I have the pics on my phone but can't get them posted! Grrr

Haffiman

Commander

Post them to Photobucket or similar and post the link.

sparky15

Seaman Apprentice

Don't think the link worked......
I put a threaded brass plug where part #56 would go in the tilt cylinder. Ill try getting the pics up again tomorrow

Haffiman

Commander

You need BOTH cylinders to get it working.
The tilt cylinder will not manage all the way from 'bottom' but needs the assist from the trim cylinder at the beginning.

sparky15

Seaman Apprentice

Alright heres a nother link to my album, thanks again haffiman, I appreciate Your help!!!

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/g362/Sparky151/

So my tilt will not work Without BOTH cylinders, meaning I have to get the trim cylinder going. My plan is to somehow patch the gapping hole on the side. It's about a Its about a 1/2" the threads are stripped and can only go in about a 1/4" in or so if that. how would a guy seal that up??? and if I need to take it apart to do that it would probably be worth it to get a rebuild kit for it also(if even available), right ?

Attachments

• trim cyl..jpg
    trim cyl..jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 0

Haffiman

Commander

Try installing a plug. Might be safest to take apart before making new threads.

sparky15

Seaman Apprentice

what type of plug do you have in mind?

Haffiman

Commander

Any type you may find in a hardware store but preferably same material as the cylinder. Might even be a short screw as long as it does not protrude inside the cylinder.

sparky15

Seaman Apprentice

Just second quessing myself here, that hole in the side of the trim cylinder is just for the trim gauge and will not affect the use of the cylinder I just won't be able to have a trim gauge correct?

Haffiman

Commander

Just second quessing myself here, that hole in the side of the trim cylinder is just for the trim gauge and will not affect the use of the cylinder I just won't be able to have a trim gauge correct?

Yes.