Johnson QD16 upper crank seal

LakeRacer99

Cadet
Anyone know where to get one of these? I couldn't find in Sierra book and no BRP dealers in my area anymore. Anyone have the CR seal size or a cross reference?

I might be int eh same boat with an 82 25 Evinrude I just bought also, but I have not verified it yet.

Thanks,

Sea18Horse

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Johnson QD16 upper crank seal

QD series uses a carbon upper crank seal. They're pretty much bullet proof unless they get physically damaged. Are you sure you need one? P/N 302036, marineengine.com shows 10+ in stock @ 32 bucks each.

Cheers.....................Todd

LakeRacer99

Cadet

........ Are you sure you need one? P/N 302036, marineengine.com shows 10+ in stock @ 32 bucks each.

Cheers.....................Todd

Thanks Todd, No im not 100% sure. I cleaned this motor up and got it running about 4-5yrs ago and have used it quite a bit every season. last season it started actin like carb was dirty so I re-rebuilt the carb again, and it did not improve. If I remember correctly, it would run fine then start sputtering then a "lean sneeze" and die. There is oil up in the ignition area and runnig down the block after a run (ie, my deduction).

$32? Holy cow they are proud of an oil seal...

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Okay, if you're getting oil up into the ignition system, then you have a bad upper seal. You'll need to change that and clean your mag plate entirely. Once you do that, then clean your points and gap them to the correct setting.

Sea18Horse

Chief Petty Officer

Yeah, sounds like you definitely have a leak up there. I would tear it apart and have a look see before I ordered anything though. Perhaps the o-ring 301967 or Sierra 18-7440-1 much better at a buck or two each.

Cheers...................Todd