70 HP Evinrude Shifting

79calglass

Cadet
Hello,

I used to have an 80 hp Mercury Outboard. When it shifted into gear, it was a hard shift, noisy, clunky, apparently the way it's supposed to be.

I now have a 70 hp Evinrude. It shifts smooth. No clunks, no noise, just goes right into gear, forward and reverse.

Is this normal?

Unfortunately, the boat is not sea worthy at the moment so I have not been able to test it on the water.

Thanks.

jbjennings

Captain
Re: 70 HP Evinrude Shifting

Yes, it's normal.
They should shift particularly smoothly on the muffs.....
I could probably find you a clunky, noisy lower unit if you really want one, though....:)
JBJ

79calglass

Cadet
Re: 70 HP Evinrude Shifting

Hi JBJ,

Thanks for the reply. That would be great if you could hook me up with a clunky, noisy lower unit. Are you interested in trades? I have a bridge on Hwy 1 we could negotiate.:)

Thanks.

I have 1979 evinrude 70 hp and it runs great but when I put it in forward it goes reverse and when I put it in reverse it goes slow in reverse could you help me out and solve the problem

somm33

Cadet
I have a shifting problem with my 1974 Evinrude 70Hp, The shift lever it self will not go into the reverse position. I can push the throttle/gear selector forward and back to neutral but it will not go backwards(reverse) at all like something is stopping it. Is this motor electric shift?,somthing bent? Idk!!! I live very close to Lake erie and really want to get my boat out. Any and all help would be great.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
This is an old post. Please start a new one. Read the rules at the top of the forum.

somm33

Cadet
Im sorry I cant seem to figure out how to start a new thread PLEASE HELP!!! lol.

southkogs

Staff member
Im sorry I cant seem to figure out how to start a new thread PLEASE HELP!!! lol.
In the forum there is a button in the upper left of the browser that says [ + NEW TOPIC ].

Welcome aboard.