90 Johnson 70hp. Throttle & Shift cable baseline set up ?

Oregon Bear

Recruit
My neighbor just asked me to look at the throttle cable set up on his 1990 70hp. Johnson. Seems it was idling slow & a "FRIEND" popped the cover & adjusted idle at the mtr end of the cable. now it "BANGS" into gear, so hard mtr. jumps on transom. Can't find my OMC ref. materials, is there a base line measurement for setting up throttle & shift cables at the motor end ? Thanks from a new member, enjoying what I've seen on here ! Bear

Lyle29464

Lieutenant
Re: 90 Johnson 70hp. Throttle & Shift cable baseline set up ?

The friend might have screwed the pooch. He should have backed the boat into the water and started it. Then put shift into warm up. Then look at the cable and see where the screw is that keeps your carbs from closing off. that is your adjustment. You do not adj. the rod that goes up toward the flywheel. If he did you need to take it to a shop and tell them. The cable end can be adjusted also but needs to be in sync with the other adjustment, you do not want the cable putting lots of pressure on the carb linkage. See if you can find a manual on this site. Anyway do not put in gear till you get the RPM's down. you will kill it

Oregon Bear

Recruit
Re: 90 Johnson 70hp. Throttle & Shift cable baseline set up ?

Thanks Lyle, those were my 1st thoughts, hadn't tinkered with a 3 cyl in a couple of years, & wanted some back up. Headed to town for a shop man. on Tuesday. Bear
PS: Hope you escaped the bad weather back your way, saw some impressive pics ! I'll stick with Eartquakes/Seaquakes?Tsunamies ! LOL