1960 johnson 75hp long shaft lower unit leak

bavchewy

Cadet
Just bought a 1969 MFG Carice 195 with a 1960 Johnson 75hp. When i run the motor with the garden hose attached to the lower unit water shoots out the weep hole by the upper oil plug. Then when i shut everything down and turn off the garden hose it looks like oil and water runs out the weep hole for a few min. Im probly looking for a rebuild on the lower until right? I found the seal kits online for $25 but is this something thats easy to replace? I have rebuilt ATV motors before so im not scared to tackle someting just dont wanna get over my head never messed with boat motor before. Is this something thats just simply and not a total seal kit? Thanks for your help!

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1960 johnson 75hp long shaft lower unit leak

I beleave the hole you are talking about is a drain for the exhaust housing, it will drain out the water left in the exhaust housing when the engine is shut down. The oil you see is probably unburn't fuel mixture in the exhaust housing, normal operation. check your lower unit oil , make sure there is no water in it and it is full.

bavchewy

Cadet

ok thanks i need to change the oil anyways since i just bought it.. But waiting on getting new plug seals before i do it. When should i start seeing water come out the exhaust? I heard so many different things on this.. I ran the motor for probly 3 min and no water out the exhaust yet.. Heard it only happens when the motor gets hot and thermostat opens.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

The thermostat does have to open. You can use your hand on the cylinder head to check and see if the engine is overheating, should be able to hold your fingers on the cylinder head for a count of 3-4.