1978ish johnson 6hp outboard-exhaust spewing/dripping oil, spak plug getting fouled

crappiebob

Recruit
6hp johnson outboard runs rough, even at full throttle.

After I get her started, she runs really rough(like it wants to die) If I let up on the throttle, she will conk out. Eventually it will die, upon which I will pull the top plug, and it will be fouled with oil. After I clean the spark plug ( wipe the oil off) and put it back in place, I can start it but it does the same thing: runs rough at full throttle, conks out if I let up on the throttle, oil coming out of the exhaust

I am trying to figure out if this is an easy fix or take it to a repair shop for a major cleaning / overhaul or ??

Couple other notes:

-engine has not been run for about 5 years
when I tried to fire it up earlier this summer, I initially dumped out the old gas that had been in the tank for probably at least 5 years. I did not get all the gas out but thought with fresh new 2 gal of gas with the correct gas to oil ratio would dilute the old stuff (about 2-3 oz) that remained in the tank.

-The oil coming out of the exhaust appears to be more than the 2-3oz of old junk that was left in the tank when the new gas was added.

Any thoughts/ideas would be greatly appreciated

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1978ish johnson 6hp outboard-exhaust spewing/dripping oil, spak plug getting foul

Start with some basic checks, compression and spark, easy and costs nothing. It will give you a base line of the health of your engine. It might be time to overhaul the carb.