Map sensor 2 fault 140 johnson

Dustinfish

Seaman Apprentice
The manual says " Cause by disconnected, kinked or clogged MAP sensor house or clogged inlet manifold gas filter." Seems easy to check but yet I can't find this hose they are taking about. Is it behind the mainfold where I can't see it? I seen the map sensor where it goes into the mainfold but that is it.

Thanks

daselbee

Commander
Re: Map sensor 2 fault 140 johnson

Don't know what engine this is, but I will guess a 4 stroke. 2003-2007 maybe.

The map sensor does not "go into the manifold." It is mounted away (sometimes up under the flywheel, port side) and the hose runs down to the manifold.

If I am wrong by guessing, disregard and then post engine model and year.

Dustinfish

Seaman Apprentice

Yes its a 2003 140 Johnson, but it does seem like it attaches to the mainfold. I could be wrong but the 40hp threw 90hp werent connected to the mainfold. When I take off the map sensor on the mainfold there is just a very little hole. I like to say I know very little about boat engines but trying to learn as I go.

daselbee

Commander

You sure you are not looking at the IAC solenoid/valve?
The map sensor has a three wire plug.

Look at shop.evinrude.com, drill to your motor, go to the sensor group page and #3 is the MAP sensor. Is that what you are referring to?

Dustinfish

Seaman Apprentice

You sure you are not looking at the IAC solenoid/valve?
The map sensor has a three wire plug.

Look at shop.evinrude.com, drill to your motor, go to the sensor group page and #3 is the MAP sensor. Is that what you are referring to?

Yes that is the correct sensor, they have the bolt backwards, but that bolts to the mainfold, or what I think could be the mainfold. There is not hose on the sensor itself. It has the wireplug going to it, then it bolts down. Once you unlosing the bolts, there is just a little hole which I am guess where the exhast comes out. Let me get a picture.

daselbee

Commander

there is just a little hole which I am guess where the exhast comes out.

???? where the exhaust comes out? This part is on the INTAKE manifold, and measures how much vacuum is present in the intake at varoius throttle opening positions.

daselbee

Commander

Re-reading...is the hole you talk about where the hose nipple used to be on the plastic? In other words, could the nipple be broken off? That part should have a hose nipple on it, on the underside, where the hose goes down to the intake.

If I am way wrong here, maybe Haffiman37 will chime in. I hope so, he knows these 4 strokes.

Dustinfish

Seaman Apprentice

Nope. Nothing there.

Not sure what I did wrong but the sensor is attached to the intake mainfold. The only thing I could come up with is cleaning the hole where the MAP sensor gets its sample from. Its a hole no bigger than a toothpick. I am guessing if this doesnt work, it could be the ECU. I don't think the mainfold gas filter can cause the engine to cut out when at idle speed.

daselbee

Commander

Well, this is different from what I have pictured. Maybe try the Suzuki forum. There are guys there that know the DF140.
You also cannot rule out the wiring harness between the sensor and the ECM.

Also, there are absolute TESTS to verify if the MAP sensor itself is working. Good luck.

Dustinfish

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you for you help I will try over there.