88 HP evinrude potential purchase

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander
Hey guys, I'm looking at buying an 88 horse evinrude for 300. The guy doesn't know the year or much about it. He says it turns over fine when the plugs are out, but no when they are in... He has no idea if it's getting spark and it has no controls.

what could that be? I know it's hard to diagnose with so little info, but I was thinking it could be a compression issue.... or maybe just a starter rebuild... Does it sound like the motor is worth it? If I could get it running, how much would it be worth (I want to sell it... or maybe sell my chrysler and use this one) How could I try to get it running at his house? He said I can try to start it, but he has no controls..

TIA

Zak

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Re: 88 HP evinrude potential purchase

Since you can't do much to check it out I would assume that it has major problems that could cost much more to rebuild than it is worth. For example lets say you gave him the $300.00 but wind up putting another $500.00 (plus your time) to get it running. I would think you can get a 88hp in running condition that you can check out before you buy it for less.