1977 Johnson 25hop

mallard1123

Cadet
I just bought a 1977 johnson 25hp. I took it for a spin today and after about ten minutes the motor would go into gear and as im going it would just rev the motor and i wouldn't go. I would stop start to take off slow and at low rpm it would work but as soon as I would try to go fast it would just high rev and not go any where. I saw a couple of guys post about this and was told to check the clutch dogs. I took it apart and looked at them they didnt seem that bad but I don't really have any knowledge of what they would look like if they were worn. an y suggestions?

BonairII

Commander
Re: 1977 Johnson 25hop

If not a gear problem then maybe a spun hub?

BonairII

Commander
Re: 1977 Johnson 25hop

Pull the prop and turn it over. Draw a line across the hub/housing. Run the motor on the water. Pull the prop again and see if the line is broken now. If it is....the hub is rotating within the prop housing.

mallard1123

Cadet
If it was a spun prop wouldn't it still high rev and not go? Im mpt getting it to hit high rpm in gear in water screams out of water on muffs

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
How in the world are you getting the engine to run on muffs? The water intake is behind the propeller