86 Evinrude Xp150 Air/Fuel Mixture Question

Onebigjp

Cadet
I have been searching the boards for a week or so now looking for an answer to my question but have not been able to find much. I have an 86 Ranger 373 with an Evinrude XP150, jack plate, 4 blade prop, recent plugs and wires, pumps, lower lube, the works. The carbs were recently serviced before I bought the boat from a very reputable dealer in my area. Problem I am having is it seems the engine is running very rich. I noticed oil spots on the garage floor after a few times in the water and traced the seepage back to the air box / carbs. I pulled off the air box and fuel / oil mix poured out of the cover. The bottom carb was heavily coated with fuel and oil, middle carb was coated, and top carb looked great. Starting is sometimes a touch difficult but it always starts fairly quick. While the engine is choked it will stumble and cough until it warms up. Noticed with the trim all the way down it will run around 42 on the gps. A few inches of trim and the engine will pick up around 1500 rpms and increase to 58mph. Loading the boat on the trailer I will glide the boat on in neutral then throttle up to get the bow eye close to the winch. If there is minimal resistance on the boat when throttling up, the engine will not rev over 1200 rpms. Absolutely no power. I was thinking the mixture may be a tad rich but I know there are some very knowledgeable people on the board. BTW.. changed plugs a few times with no noticeable change, wires are new, noticeable rpm drop when removing each wire while engine is running. Fuel mileage also seems horrible for the minimal boating I do. Burned through around 15 gallons in a couple of hours of half throttle riding. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated as always!

atomicslc

Recruit
Re: 86 Evinrude Xp150 Air/Fuel Mixture Question

I have been searching the boards.....

I have the same problem. I have been fighting with it for quite a while now. I will randomly get a day where I will get to take the boat for a rip and be able to get it up to full throttle. But 90% of the time I don't make it far from the ramp. I see it is an old post so maybe you have taken care of it already. I also get it running perfectly on the muffs but it doesn't like being in the water putting back pressure on the exhaust. The closest I have gotten is I drained my Carb bowls and found them filled with strait oil. Found the vro diaphram isn't working correctly, ran an electric fuel pump beside the vro and it fires up faster then it ever has even with only bumping the choke once. Made a few "no problem" runs but I had a local tournament day and didn't leave the ramp because I couldn't get over 1200 rpms again...

Little info on my motor, fresh rebuild ( trying to fix this problem, no fix) rebuild consisted of pistns, rings, bearings, full gasket set and alot more. Carbs cleaned, thn again doubting myself but this time by a electro cleaning thing, fresh plugs, wires, coils, run 50:1 fuel mix, stock prop, jack plate and its on my 89 kingfisher silver shadow bass boat.

pn

Petty Officer 1st Class

fuel shouldn't be coming ou thte carbs, float position or needle.

2.atom put on the little dual pumps, i'm not sure why but electric pumps on boats are dangerous for various reasons, like???

boobie

Supreme Mariner

This post is way over a year old. Please read the rules at the top of the forum and Start a New One. Thank You.