85 V90 Alarm Help please

64osby

Admiral
I have a Johnson V90, 1985, Model J90MLCOS, with VRO.

I've had the boat about 3 weeks. It has run great. Today I took the boat out and did some tubing with the kids. After about an hour I had an alarm go off. Intermittent beep about every 3 or 4 seconds.

I stopped and popped the hood and the #3 plug was loose and leaking oil and the cooling hose to the port side had broken plastic clamps. I Zipped tied the hose and tightened the plug. I was able to run back slowly to the launch the alarm popped back on and I shut her down, waited and idled back in.

After I brought it home I took this pic, It had leaked a little oil from the loose plug.
Johnson V90 plug loose.jpg
At home, hooked up the muffs and checked the compression, all cyl at 120 + 3. Water is flowing, but the alarm still goes on after about 2 minutes at idle.
I had bought a disk and pulled it out and the section on warning alarms and VRO has not been included. :mad:

Reading some of the search info it appears to be a VRO pump issue, I think???? The tank is about 1/2 full.

What am I looking at here? Thanks for any help.

Last edited:

64osby

Admiral
Re: 85 V90 Alarm Help please

No one had any advice to offer:confused:

That's OK, I went out last night to take another look around midnight and under different lighting I found my problem.

Here is a pic of what I found.
Johnson VRO Tube leak 9-3-11.jpg
The pencil points to a crack in my oil feed line that goes to the VRO pump.

I pushed on the line and it cracked in half. I then tried to remove the line and it broke into multiple pieces. I was fortunate to find the screen filter in the tube, (pencil points to it). I also found 3 broken plastic clamps.
Johnson VRO Tube parts 9-3-11.jpg

I was able to find all the things I needed quickly and put her back together this morning. We had friends over this afternoon for fun and dinner, we went out on the boat for 3 hours, skiing and tubing with the kids and the V90 ran flawless.

I had bought this boat/motor about 3 weeks ago and have been making a list of things to do. One of them was to replace all the gas lines. I will add to that replace all the oil lines.

I always seem to do things today that I put off yesterday, at least that's what the Admiral tells me.
;)