emulsified looking fuel in carb and other q's : primer choke evinrude 8 hp

kristerbjorn

Recruit
I have an 89 evinrude 8 hp i have been working on. Had some carb issues (cracked bowl) so i rebuilt it. Never could get it to run right afterwards. gave up took it to a mechanic. They took apart carb reset flow rebuilt everything charged a hundred bucks. still runs exactly same. Obviously may not be carb. Many people pointed to gas and water in lines. There was. I cleaned lines, tank added new fuel. Now people saying could be old oil i used: yes, it was old but synthetic figured its be okay. Put in octane booster and corrective additive. no help. What am i seeing for symptoms. Well lots of condensation around carb and that seems to build up and create a blusih looking foamy emulsion which cant be good? Also, when I put silencer in place, it seems very starved for air and powerless though it runs okay minus silencer, though not fully powered. I am beginning to think this is going to be something really stupid and simple. The "choke primer" has me thinking mainly because i am not sure how this thing works and can find little info onit. However, i do notice that while the engine starts like clockwork on the first or second pull ( the primer pump part must work?) it does not seem to choke effectively: meaning regardless of its position, in or out the motor seems to run the same? Anyone know if this works on a vacuum or how it chokes the engine? Engine seems to be getting a lot of fuel plugs are sort of wet when pulled out, fouling quickly and it seems to be using a fair amount of gas...

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Re: emulsified looking fuel in carb and other q's : primer choke evinrude 8 hp

From your description I would start with fresh clean gas & oil in a clean tank & fuel lines.