70hp johnson with dead cly.

partsman57

Recruit
I have a 1988 Johnson 70hp with #2 cly. dead. Have 120psi compression on all, 1/2 inche blue spark,and carbs have been gone though. HELP

fireman57

Captain
Re: 70hp johnson with dead cly.

If you have spark to that cylinder then it is not dead. To check for fuel issue pull all your spark plugs and take a piece of paper and hold it close to the #2 cylinder hole and crank the engine over. If you do not get fuel on the paper then you probably still have a carb problem. The paper should be pretty wet.

partsman57

Recruit

Thanks alot I'll give it a try. Anything with spark and fuel should run even if not good.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Get a squirt can with some premix in it, start the mtr up and squirt some fuel in all the cylinders through the carb throats. The one that picks up is the bad one from lack of fuel and ones that bog out are the good ones. It's a lot safer than the paper trick.

partsman57

Recruit

No fuel to #2 carb, pulled off to check I had these carbs rebuilt cause i didn't have time, float was put in upside down. I will pull all carbs and rebuild myself which i should have done. motor runs now but still have fuel problems. i will put new kits in i don't think he put in like he said.Thanks to every one for their help. A lesson to others if you can do the work don't have someone else do it.