1988 evinrude 150xp

dwells1234

Seaman Apprentice
I just bought this 1988 ski cat pontoon. The owner did start it upand it ran but smoked, he said it was probably the gas has been in for a year. I will drain and put new in it. On the coils they are cracked. He said it is hard starting but after the first start it will start right up the rest of the day. Is there anything to look for on this? The tach gauge does not work? I am putting new lower oil in it and plugs. They were wet but he said that it ws from not runnning it that long. New to this thanks for any comment. What should the compression be and how do you adjust the timing. My book won't be here in time.

Last edited:

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1988 evinrude 150xp

If the engine is hard starting, could be a problem with the cold-start primer solenoid. It's a bear to get it to start if that primer (choke) is not working. The coils sound well worn, but if the engine runs fine at top end, you can put them way down the list for replacement. The tach gets it's signal from the combination regulator/rectifier. If that device quits functioning properly, the tach quits working. Problem is that the engine's stator may also quit re-charging the battery. Check the battery voltage readings on the volt gauge. If the voltage never goes above 12.5 volts-it's due for replacement. That engine is the (desirable) high performance 150 for that model year. It came with stock high compression heads. The compression should be in the 105 range.