1969 Johnson 25 Horse dropping out of gear

Fish2win2010

Recruit
I acquired a 1969 Johnson 25 horsepower tiller outboard a couple of years ago. It runs great and has been used quite frequently since I bought it. The last few times I have taken it out, the motor does not want to stay in gear upon take off from idle. For a few trips I was able to hold the lever forward in gear and take off then let go, it seemed once the motor was tacking enough rpms this problem did not occur. Well the last time I took it out I could not run more than 20 or 30 feet before it popped into neutral.

I know very little about this outboard. A buddy of mine said something about adjusting the linkage? I am not sure how to do that.
I would greatly appreciate any help!!!

Thanks, Justin

Last edited:

lindy46

Captain
Re: 1969 Johnson 25 Horse dropping out of gear

Could be the linkage. Check to make sure the shift rods are firmly attached to the coupler. To check, remove the little oval cover on the side of the leg. The upper and lower shift rods are connected to the coupler by two bolts. Make sure the bolts are in place and that the assembly moves up and down when you shift the motor. Could also be a worn connector under the powerhead. You can check that by removing the bottom bolt from the shift rod coupler to disconnect the lower shift rod. Now, with long-nosed pliers reach into the access panel and, while holding the shift lever still, see if there is any up and down play in the upper shift rod. There should be no play. If everything checks out with the linkage, then you probably have a worn clutch dog/forward gear. You'll have to tear into the lower unit to check that. Unfortunately, that is the most likely problem.