57' Evinrude low and high speed knobs

R&DMACHINIST

Seaman
I finally made time to start tinkering with my 7.5hp Evinrude..My question is in my Clymer repair manual it states to start the low speed knob @ 1⅛ turns open and high speed knob @ ? turn open.I don't understand the low speed setting they call out because the knob makes almost a whole revolution bit 1⅛ turns isn't possible! Any ideas?
THANKS,
Kurt

AlTn

Commander
Re: 57' Evinrude low and high speed knobs

don't know the exact knob setup, but, generically...set the needle from a light seat to 1 1/8 turn out w or w/o the knob on..then place the knob back on the needle with the pointer pointing downward so you can move it 180 degs. either direction.. or idoes your carb setup have a link from the main needle to the low speed mixture needle?..either way, just get the low speed mixture needle to 1 1/8 out, then put the knob on

R&DMACHINIST

Seaman

Oh ok cool.Thanks for the info AITn and the link kfa4303,Im gonna see what happens this eve..Not sure how long the motor set before I acquired it so made need to clean th carb out..One other thing Im kinda wondering about is the coils.They are good and look brand new..Thing about them is the have. "Made in W.Germany" on them, are these pretty common coils?Any idea how old they could possibly be?
Thanks again guys!
Kurt

Sea18Horse

Chief Petty Officer

The original coils were formed from epoxy. They would be a natural amber epoxy color. And likely you would be able to spot cracks through the hole in the flywheel with just a casual glance. If they are some other color, whether a pastel green or a darker green or a wine color or something like that it means they have been replced at some point. Those replacement coils are formed of a hard plastic material. much more durable. I have seen a pastel green one (OMC replacement) that was cracked. But that's it.

Now even though the coils might have been replaced. There's a good chance that the plug wires were not. I would recomend you get a set of plug wires and points and condensers (they're cheap) And plan to replace them all. Then you can inspect the coils more thoroughly when you have them out. Good luck!

Cheers....................Todd

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The German coils that I have seen are pretty high quality. However, "West Germany" says they are quite a few years old becuse Germany has reunified and no is no longer East and West Germany. That does not mean there is a problem with the coils, just pointing it out.

kfa4303

Banned

German=quality. You're good to go (assuming there are no visible cracks, breaks, or scorches). I believe many of the modern replacement coils are also made in Deutschland as well. Ditto on the spark plug wire replacement. You can buy 7mm copper core wires and boots from autoparts stores like NAPA and Carquest for about $3 a foot or so. 3-4 ft per cylinder is plenty. You'll be amazed at the difference they make. There's really no sense in cleaning/replacing all of the other ignition components and not the wires. Good luck. Keep us posted.