1991 150 johnson fast strike fouled plugs

kba747

Cadet
hi i just bought this 91 ranger with 91 150 fast strike took it out for test run ran great 2nd time out took awhile to get on plane and wouldn't run full speed witch is around 64 mph so i got home and looked at plugs 2 were soaked so i changed out all 6 for new went back out next day and all was fine also went on vacation for 4 days ran great just last sat took her out fishing ran fine to first spot then same thing no power and took awhile to get on plan pulled into cove swapped out 1 plug that looked a little wet thought this would fix it but when i took off no change so i headed to the ramp got back home pulled out all plugs to see how they looked and the 1 plug i replaced looked like it was brand new out of the box then i checked for spark and no spark on that cylinder but even with no spark shouldn't the plug be oil soaked when not firing any help on this is greatly appreciated

Re: 1991 150 johnson fast strike fouled plugs

You are correct if a cylinder is not firing it should look wet. If it was dry I would suspect a fuel delivery problems. If the cylinder suspected is one of the bottom cylinders 5 or 6, I would suspect a carb overhaul. Providing engine is in good mechanical condition.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

If the cylinder suspected is one of the bottom cylinders 5 or 6, I would suspect a carb overhaul. Providing engine is in good mechanical condition.
Engine has 1 carb per cylinder not a 2 barrel setup like a crossflow. No spark is usually a pack problem. If engine has not had the updates, order the CDI replacment kit with new eye,pack and sparkwires

kba747

Cadet

thanks for the info but i still dont understand why no spark and no fuel all at once is there something that controls both on this motor and also this motor is not detuned and from what Ive learned the carbs are bigger than normal 150s -maybe someone can fill me in on this matter also one other thing i ran a cold compression check and they range from 93 to 105 so i think i am good with that matter and the vro is still hooked up

hidef

Lieutenant

Follow the CDI trouble shooting guide to make sure there is nothing else causing you grief. Your engine will be somewhere around page 48.

kba747

Cadet

one thing i did see in the cdi guide was water getting in on cylinder 1 the one i am having prob with is bottom port side is this #1 ? they talked about steamed cleaned cylinder but i looked in at piston head and it was black. would it clean it if this just happen or did i blow the power pack by running without fuel ??? it was ran this way just to get to the ramp about 5 to 10 min. thanks

That is number 6, if you are going to have carb problems the bottom carb(s) will always be the worse because the (probably) untreated fuel in the bowl of that carb as well as the gravity fed fuel in the fuel hoses will deteriorate and clog critical passages (primarily) the main jet. All fuel for all the circuits for proper carb function go through the main jet. Once this is restricted time for a carb overhaul.

kba747

Cadet

i ordered power pack kit and carb rebuild now when i put in power pack is it just plug and play or should i take it in for service thanks

kba747

Cadet

thanks for the help getting parts on tuesday