1968 Johnson 55 hp Shifting and Gearcase oil Problems

Junorr

Cadet
Hello everyone. Newbie to Boats, and Outboards Here.

I recently bought a 1968 55hp Johnson With the Infamous Hydroelectric Shift Of Course.

I had problems with the shifting so after recearching the issue here on iboats i installed a shift switch to bypass the one on the controll lever. This did solve the shift problem as i could now hear the shift solenoids clicking back and forth when not running as well as it was shifting good at idle. ( I was using muffs to run it out of water)

I then changed the gearcase oil putting premium blend in of course. The oil that came out was grey and frothy with water in it. Obviously a problem. I immidiatly lost the ability so shift at idle, it will occasionaly shift if i up the RPMS a bit.

I then draied the oil a second time and again it came out watery, very. Put fresh oil in it ran it for a few minutes whiile i was checking to see if it would shift and then drained a bit of oil to check it again. It was grey and frothy after only a couple of minutes of running.

It will shift from forward to reverse if i position the shift switch in either forward or reverse before i start it. This seems odd to me but it might have something to do with the water in the gearcase.

Both Solanoids read 6 ohms and there is full 12v available when they are not powered. When powered they read 10v. This seems right to me as 6ohms will cause a 2v drop if i remember my elecronics correctly.

When the muffs are on and the water is running there is water streaming out of several holes around the top of the lower unit. Is this the proper spot for the water to be coming out?

As well there is water pouring out of what looks like the lower steering hinge just above the lower unit towards the transom. This i think is a problem and would seem to indicate to me that i have some serious issues with seals being gone. I suspect that the water coming out of this last particular spot started around the time i started to have problems with the shifting, As i was looking carefully at the leg the very first time i put water to the muffs and i didnt notice it then.

Any Ideas would be Great.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1968 Johnson 55 hp Shifting and Gearcase oil Problems

You have several drains on the exhaust housing, sounds like what you are describing. It sounds like you have a water intrusion problem in the lower unit, your lower unit will not handle water in the lower unit. You should probably drop the lower unit and pressure test it to find your problem.

Junorr

Cadet

After talking through the problem with my father in law who is a mech we have come to the same conclusion as Daviet.

Now is what i can do about it. How do i pressure test it? And if i drop the lower unit would i be able to replace seals or possably see a crack in the housing?

How much damage might have been done to the gears and or oil pump by having so much water in it?

Is it worth looking into or should i loose the engine and get something else? Is the engine worth parting out? It runs just great.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

You pump about 12-15 lbs of air into the lower unit, submerge it in water and look for bubbles.
There's a chance some damage was done, but the only way to know is repair it. You could replace all the seals and gaskets and see if that helps, might be a crack somewhere.
Not many people think those electric shift lower units are worth much of anything.
One last thought, did you replace the seal washers on the vent/drain screws?

Junorr

Cadet

The Vent Drain Screws on For the Gearcase? No i havent however i am running the leg out of water with muffs on it so i dont think the water is getting in that way.

To put air into the unit i need to use the one of the drain/vent holes and adapt a shrader valve to that size of tapping? What size would it be?

I havent looked to see if seals and gaskets are even available yet. Does anyone know offhand? As well i was informed that to take all the gearing out from behind the prop that i need a special set of snap ring pliers. Is this true? Do i even need to get into it that far to replace the seals and gaskets?

Junorr

Cadet

BTT any more ideas?

yorab

Ensign

i need to use the one of the drain/vent holes and adapt a shrader valve to that size of tapping?

Boat stores sell a pump that fits onto a gear oil container. This pump might be available here at iboats. Included with the pump is the end connector that screws into the lower unit fill hole and allows the fill hose to connect. This end connector is what I use in conjunction with a vacuum/pressure pump that can be purchased at any auto parts store to test my lower unit.

I havent looked to see if seals and gaskets are even available yet. Does anyone know offhand?

Yes, still available. Probably right here at iboats.

i was informed that to take all the gearing out from behind the prop that i need a special set of snap ring pliers. Is this true? Do i even need to get into it that far to replace the seals and gaskets?

If your gearcase seals are like mine (and I believe that they are), you won't need the snap ring pliers to change seals. There's no need to remove the gearing and prop shaft.

Junorr

Cadet

Ok assuming i can replace the seals and solve the water getting into the gearcase problem, i would then be worried that to much damage has already been done. For example the oil pump assembly for the shift mechanisim. I gusess there is no way of knowing till i soleve one problem at a time.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

That would be my course of action, resolve the water problem and see how it shifts.

Junorr

Cadet

Thank you for the help I wont be able to get to this for a week but i will post what happens

Pjbracke

Recruit

I have a 1968 65 horse that I replaced all the seals on the lower unit and now it won't go into forward.