Why don't older 2 stroke outboards require routine rebuilds?

jtrom

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just wondering....my 50 Johnson is pushing 40 yrs old and has probably never been rebuilt...a car engine would have been rebuilt once or twice in that time frame even just sitting there...what gives?

Sander

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Why don't older 2 stroke outboards require routine rebuilds?

Old outboard motors can last a long time if proper maintenance is applied. Boat motors dont receive the stress that car engines do, particularity due to amount of use. I am glad to hear your old boy is running good, take good care of it and it might give you another 40years ;)

Think about how many hours per month an outboard engine actually runs (I'm doing good to see 10 hours of operation in a month, usually it's less than that). Car engines are used way way more than that, therefore they wear out faster. On the flip side, it's not good for any engine to sit unused for too long (that's why the unlucky folks up north fog their engines for the winter). I don't have to worry about that 'cause even in the winter I'm able to get out at least a few times, so my engines always have oil in them protecting from corrosion.

ohioriverat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Less moving parts?? and the constant fresh oil going through the engine. Have you ever tore down a 2 stroke? they are clean inside not all sludgy like a 4 stroke. The roller bearings help aid in longevity too

River Boy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Less moving parts?? and the constant fresh oil going through the engine. Have you ever tore down a 2 stroke? they are clean inside not all sludgy like a 4 stroke. The roller bearings help aid in longevity too

Yep. Fogged, or vaporized 2 cycle mix is a very effiecent crankcase cleaner. About the only carbon in a two cycle motor is on the piston dome and exhaust port.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Yep, I have a motor that's 52 years old nd still in great mechanical shape. It'll probably last 30 more years. LOL

dazk14

Ensign

As was stated earlier, most owners do no put that many hrs on an Outboard.

Most motors die, due to neglect.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Exactly right. Such as the story with mine. Mine is a long way from dead, but it sure looks like death :D:D

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

The average person puts less than 50 hours a year on an outboard. On a smaller motor, you're lucky to put 10 or 15 hours on it a year.
Go to an area where people run their motors 365 days a year and you'll find that 10 year old motors are rare.

I put over 2,500 hours on mine 12 years and it was completely worn out, had to be repalced. Those 2500 hours represent 50 years of typical use@ 50 hours a year or 166 years at 15 hours a year.

If you only drove your car to the grocery store once a week, how long do you think it would last

If you drove your car to work 1 day week, how long would it last?

jtrom

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah but it seems like after 40 yrs things like seals and gaskets would need to be replaced, regardless of how much it is used......

atlapp

Seaman

I believe the quality was far better 30 to 40 years ago, than it is today.....I doubt the outboards we are purchasing right now will have a 40+ year life... I hope for my sake I am wrong, but I doubt it!!

jtrom

Petty Officer 1st Class

I guess what I'm hinting at is I need a winter project and was thinking of rebuilding my 50 Johnson (rings and gaskets only)..is it needed? Compression is good on this motor

RogersJetboat454

Commander

I guess what I'm hinting at is I need a winter project and was thinking of rebuilding my 50 Johnson (rings and gaskets only)..is it needed? Compression is good on this motor

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If compression is good, why would you put rings in it? If the gaskets aren't leaking, why mess around with them?

If you want a project, find an old motor that needs your attention, and rebuild it.

jmendoza

Petty Officer 1st Class

Another thing to consider is the dissplacement versus horsepower rating of outboards. Compared to cars, an outboard usually has twice the displacement for the same horsepower. This is because marine engines are typically run in continuose duty, meaning full throttle for extended time. Due to this, they have a small carb that restricts the power output to a level such that the engine can sustain being run wide open without causing the engine to become overloaded and fail. Thus, these engines are not run up to their peak potential, and are overbuilt, which accounts for their longevity. For example: My 1986 RZ250cc motorcycle engine is rated at 39 hp, whereas my 1975 Johnson of 216cc displacement puts out around 12hp max.

dmoriarty51

Petty Officer 1st Class

i dunno mendoza i would say hp for cubic inch i would bet most outboards are making in excess of 1 hp per inch sometimes significantly. where most car engines are the other way making maybe .7 or .8 hp per inch

my dodge truck is 285 cuin motor making about 230 hp, my 70hp johnson is only 56 cuin

jmendoza

Petty Officer 1st Class

Compare apples to apples, not oranges, meaning you are comparing 4-stroke displacement to 2-stroke displacement...
In my example I compared 2-stokes of approximately equall cubic volume and pointed out how the road going engines are rated at much higher horsepower. This is because you do not opperate a vehicle on the road at full throttle for most of the time.
When you do this type of comparison, it is quite clear that the outboard engines have much lower rated horsepower per cubic inch of displacement than a road going 2-stroke. Additionally, if you look at my 9.9 carb and compare it to my RZ250 engine, it becomes even more obvious: the RZ has two 26 mm carbs compared to the single 20 mm bore carb on the 9.9.
Consider that my 1969 McCulloch MC-101 (125cc) Kart engine puts out 12hp on gasoline, 18hp on alky, and it makes the 216cc Johnson 9.9 look like its loafing on the job!

Look at 4-stroke small outboards, they are roughly twice the displacement as their 2-stroke counterparts, so it's not a good comparison. Now look at this comparison: My 5.0 302 Mustang HO puts out 325hp, but the same engine prepared by Waukesau in my 18 foot tri-hull is only rated at 165hp, and has a small 2 barrel Holly, it's basically a restricted version of the same engine for marine use.

Thus to be clear, so I'm not missunderstood, if you have two engines of the same type, of aproximately the same displacment, the marine version will put out about half of what the road going version, because the marine version is rated for continous duty, not intermittant duty.

nwcove

Admiral

whats the chances of somebody finding an average use 2011 motor, in a shed, 40/50 years from now, and be able to spend $100 or so bucks to make it run like new? not likely! they just dont make em like they used to!

cfauvel

Chief Petty Officer

Yep, I have a motor that's 52 years old nd still in great mechanical shape. It'll probably last 30 more years. LOL

Damn it!! I was trying to kill that bug on my screen!!