Evinrude 35 Lark lower unit removal

sensei3x4

Cadet
Just rebuilt my 59 Evinrude Lark 35hp. Since I'm at it I thought I'd replace the water pump. Removed all bolts and the best I can do is get the lower unit to drop an inch or two. Seems the shift linkage rod is hanging up. Most lower unit's I've worked on have come come loose after a shake or two. I understand that with this model that you have to have it in the forward gear position which facilitates easier removal. Still having trouble. Help Please!

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: Evinrude 35 Lark lower unit removal

Did you disconnect the shift linkage?

sensei3x4

Cadet

No, where is the area where you disconect it.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Look on the starboard side of the exhaust housing for a square plate, remove that plate and you will see a second plate underneith, remove it also. Inside the exhaust housing you will see a brass coupler with two screws, remove one of them and the shift rod will come out. look below, items #54 and 46.
http://www.marineengine.com/parts/v...evinrude-johnson/ITEM_2977/ITEM_297700001.htm

duffer1960

Cadet

There may also be a hidden bolt behind the back midsection cover. The rear half of the midsection cover must be removed to access it. This bolt isn't on all the lark models however...