Johnson 70...1986.....HS Jet clogged..........

leopoldoben

Cadet
I am assuming I have a HS Speed Jet clogged because of the motor bogging down at WOT (wide open throttle).

I really don't want to tear into the carbs at this point......if I was to remove the three 7/16" bolts that cover the HS Speed Jets and then take the gasoline primer bulb and continue to squeeze it.... gas is now running out of these (3) HS Jets...the question is.....if one of the jets was clogged wouldn't no gas flow out of the clogged jet when priming the bulb?

leopoldoben

Cadet
Re: Johnson 70...1986.....HS Jet clogged..........

...when I do this procedure (prime the bulb) gas flows out of all three HS Jets equally........not clogged? the motor does not bog down all the time......only randomly...the other day I ran 10 gallons through it before it happened......other times it will bog down right at start up....could it be debris in the float bowl that makes it's way up to that HS Speed Jet and at other times clears itself?

Sixmark

Master Chief Petty Officer

If you don't want to take apart the carbs then you can probably forget about fixing your problem, a properly cleaned carb requires that you take it apart to do so. Shortcuts just lead to more problems, properly diagnose the real issue instead of guessing.

Start with the basics, test fuel and spark as spark issues can cause bogging as well.

BonairII

Commander

A jet(s) might be partially blocked...you might be getting fuel past the obstruction, but probably not enough for the motor to run properly.

If you REALLY don't want to open up the carbs, get yourself a can of Seafoam and spray it into the carbs while the motor is running. You might get lucky and the Seafoam will dislodge/dissolve the obstruction(assuming that you have an obstruction). Put the rest of the Seafoam in your fuel tank.