threads on 1980's johnson controls (no key)

tim thompson

Seaman
I don't have key for the control unit so I can't engage starter motor to test 82 johnson 35hp. can you get key or by pass simply to try to start and test motor? The 9.9 is set up to start electric also. It has seperate control (standard f and reverse once in gear you can accelerate . I don't know how they started it. no key, no push button etc... anyway it pull starts and runs fine, turned off quickly though cause no water exiting pee hole. I can't find thread regarding key issue. Thanks

tim thompson

Seaman
Re: threads on 1980's johnson controls (no key)

thanks for quick response ....So are you suggesting just get an ignition swith and wire it back to motor?

hidef

Lieutenant

Your original post is confusing. If you need a new ignition key you will have to buy a new switch and key and replace the existing switch in the controls. If you have a two lever control with no switch then you would need to get a wiring harness and switch. I took it that you need the key for the 35 is this correct? What is the model of your 35?

tim thompson

Seaman

yes need a new ignition key and switch. Its a 1 lever control. The 35 johnson is model no.J35ecnd.