johnson hydro electric shift getting stuck

catfish joe81

Recruit
I have 50 horse johnson with hydro electric shift at idle it will shift in and out of gear just fine but once I shift into forward gear and give some gas or leave it in gear for a minute it gets stuck any ideas

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: johnson hydro electric shift getting stuck

Moving over to the Johnson OB forum.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

having owned a 1968 85 hp electric shift i would suspect the a switch in the controler thier 2 types of controlers i know of one has push buttions for gears and the other type the one i had , had a micro switch inside that would stick some times and keep it in gear right off hand i would guess that is whats going on how ever with out pictures it is hard to say or knowing what controler, but i would suspect its a switch , but be very carfull about the type of LU gear lube you use, it has to have the Johonson special electric shift lube* any thing elese will damage the clutch and springs and here on Iboats giving info on year, type, helps a lot of the experts give you a answer, but i suspect its 1960 plus year motor i belive that after 1970 johnson stoped making that sort of drive i just happened to of owned one and i still think it is one of the best ever made

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

Is there Type C oil in the gear case, or regular 85-90W ?