1964 johnson 40hp problem.... electrical????

shihdo

Recruit
hello all, newby to the forum, I have recently took the step into boating and bought a modified europa 2+2 with the rear cab removed and a johnson 40 hp attached. took her out to the coast for a test drive and everything seemed fine, motored along nicely, turned, stopped, bobbed around , all good got her back to the trailer with the usual newby problems trying to line her up 6 or 6 times etc. gave mate's wife a laughing fit, anyways got her home hooked up the binfull of water to flush the engine system out and had her running for about 10 mins when she backfired and died, it would seem i made an error when flushing her i took the cowling off the top and have since learned thats a no-no. so I have done some investigation and have found that the top cylinder is giving a weak-ish spark but the bottom cylinder is not sparking, i have taken the vacuum swith out of the circuit and tried that way with similar results,i have put new plugs in. so any suggestions? have i just gotten the points damp? is the ht lead buggered? or is there something simple i am missing? i have yet to remove the flywheel (picking up the tool tomorrow)so havent got anything to comment on there i have a copy of johnson-evinrude service manual 1956-1970 for engines up to 50hp but unfortunately the wiring diagrams are not the best so if anybody could point me to a decent link or possibly email a diagram i would be gratefull. must say this site has been a wealth of info to me so far so thanks a million and see you out there somewhere.