compression on 1975 Evinrude 70HP?

wiesmanr

Seaman Apprentice
Just got done looking at a 1975 Evinrude 70HP. Engine was clean for the year. Had good spark. Ran good off of a hose and peed water right away. I wasn't able to take it for a lake test though. Power Tilt and trim worked good also. No signs of leaks on the lower unit. Compression tested at 105, 110, 110. Not sure if my compression tester is the best, but the readings are pretty close at least. The person is asking $500 for the motor and controls. Does this seem like a good buy or not? Also, I was told that the water pump was just replaced this year.

martijn

Cadet
Re: compression on 1975 Evinrude 70HP?

seems like a good deal to me , with the powertrim and tilt i would buy it anyway .
but looks to me as a good deal

wiesmanr

Seaman Apprentice

You don't think the compression numbers are too low?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

You could try a different compression gauge and see what happens. Those gauges all want to vary.

Sixmark

Master Chief Petty Officer

They will all display good water pressure running on a hose and always seem to run better that way too, that is why we always recommend a lake test if possible, if that's not an option in this case then you kind of buy it at your own risk. Those compression numbers are fine but it never hurts to double check with a different tester for your piece of mind.

The price is decent and if the PT&T works then it's worth the price in parts, worst case scenario is if it dies on ya, sell the lower unit and the PT&T and get your money back, or most of it anyhow.

BonairII

Commander

They aren't low at all. What numbers were you expecting for a 35 yr old motor? Sounds like a good deal to me.

Wouldn't hurt to offer $425-450...the worst the seller can say is "No". I think it's worth $500 regardless.

wiesmanr

Seaman Apprentice

well, I made an offer of $400. He countered and we settled at $450. So I picked up a new to me 70hp Evinrude with power t/t. :)
now to get it on the boat. hopefully I will have time to run it yet this year before the water freezes over.