78' Johnson Ignition and new switch issue (Pics)

Jayb123

Chief Petty Officer
Figured I would try a new post..and add pics.

Story goes like this..... lost my keys and replaced igntion switch. When I turn the key the motor wont start. However, when the key is in the on position I can jump the motor and it runs fine. Then when I use the key to turn off the motor it turns off. I have checked 3-4 times to make sure the wires are correct to the switch before closing up the remote control. Any ideas or comments would be most appreciated.

UPDATE:
OK.... I received some advice to check the inline fuse. I did replace the fuse in #4 now the "electric" choke engages. This is a step in the right direction. Now, I did check the neutral switch (inside the remote).... I can attest that it does engage and click in place. I have checked all my wires and connections:

Connections.jpg

1. Ground is connected
2. Starter is connected
3. Harness is connected
4. Inline fuse is connected and good
5. Battery is connected to bottom solenoid contact.

At this point I am curious what the 2 wires are coming out from the remote control unit:

remotecontrol.jpg

The grey one goes into the harness, the red one goes into the control unit. I was assuming it was for a tach? Thanks for any extra help guys.

Haffiman

Commander
Re: 78' Johnson Ignition and new switch issue (Pics)

On the two small studs on starter relay:
One should be Black (ground)
On the other a Yellow/Red from ignition switch.
Does not matter on which stud.
When key to 'start' - 12 Volts in the yellow/red.

Jayb123

Chief Petty Officer

OK ... heres what I have.

Solenoid2.jpg

1. Top to starter
2. (small stud) Its yellow/red stripe or.... white/red stripe (wire is sorta faded)
3. (small stud) Black wire (I cant see stripe if it has one) This also has a black wire going to the block for ground.
4. 2 red wires and connection from battery

thanks again :D

(is it possibly a fried solenoid, I had tried to jump it a few times and may have crossed other posts accidentally in the process (because it did spark).

Haffiman

Commander

Just take a short jumper from Battery (Big stud) to yellow/red stud, relay should click and engage starter.
If that works, check continuity yellow/red to ignition switch.

Jayb123

Chief Petty Officer

OK ... when i jumper it. with a 12 gauge wire (should be thick enough). The solenoid makes a click (not very loud). But it does not engage the starter? And the readings with a voltmeter are very intermitten.

Jayb123

Chief Petty Officer

Figured I would post a reply on my solution..... since there are usually always many questions without helpful answers.

I found my solution by changing my Starter Solenoid/Relay. By process of deduction..... I knew the motor was getting some form of electricity..... that was good. Then by knowing I could jump the starter/top solenoid connection the starter would engage and turn on motor. So I knew that was a good sign. When I took Haffiman advice.... by the way thanks Haffiman for your help. I checked the relay/solenoid and was getting a clicking....albeit faint sounding..... and it was not engaging the starter... I had a feeling it was not in the control unit. But in the solenoid/relay itself.

If it had been in the ignition switch I replaced I assumed the solenoid would not click with the ignition switch in the "on" position. I may have been wrong in "my" diagnosis... however it got the job done.

atlapp

Seaman

On a different note, I noticed your tell-tale water line is running across rear of motor (I have this same motor)...I was told this line should be routed across top of engine to create more back pressure...Johnson had problems with number cylinder getting to hot and I was told this was the solution....I wire tyed mine to engine removal hook

Haffiman

Commander

On a different note, I noticed your tell-tale water line is running across rear of motor (I have this same motor)...I was told this line should be routed across top of engine to create more back pressure...Johnson had problems with number cylinder getting to hot and I was told this was the solution....I wire tyed mine to engine removal hook
The correct solution is to move the nipple to the top where his #4 is, then route the hose over the cyl and down. This to avoid an air pocket building on top.