quick question on carb vacuum

mitch_houser

Cadet
1993 Johnson 40hp(J40TLETF MODEL #) I just got the boat decided to rebuild carbs get rid of VRO put in a gas only fuel pump, new fuel lines,fuel filter.The boat is back together and I took it out on the water it ran perfect. The only question I have is at the top of both carbureators are 2 ports I found while doing test runs before I left the house they do pull vacuum.I just dont remember what they was hooked to its not in my manual .The only real problem the boat showed was it idealed high around 1200 rpms .Would love to put this thing to bed >Thanks in advance Mitch

dc095

Seaman Apprentice
Re: quick question on carb vacuum

I think those might be the PRIME ports from the key primer. mine has rubber hoses run to them for gas flow. They run to the gas primer with the little red handle on it. I think. i'm new to this stuff too. But been reading a lot of posts here.Its a great site.

mitch_houser

Cadet

My SELOC manual I just spent 40 dollers on has nothing on this there are 2 ports at the top of each carb I put the ones back on top and bottom carb they are very small diameter holes.the other ports look like they would hold a 3/16 diameter hose.what connects to these I dont remember taking any red handle off.What I have done after reading on here about the VRO was not meant to run dry with no oil after you cut the lines and disconnect wires.Well I bought a new pump that mounts on the block meant just for oil gas mix.Please help me find my way LOL

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Get a piece or 3/16' fuel line and hook it to both fittings. That was known as a balance tube between the carbs. Assinine idea.

mitch_houser

Cadet

And this is how they are suppose to go ?to each other.Do you think this will cure the eratic high ideal?

mitch_houser

Cadet

I got ahold of a boat shop in Mooresville and he told me they do connect together so today Im taken her out again under a load it might calm her down. Thanks for the help