Water coming out of carbs

jlburt

Recruit
Have 1972 65hp Johnson triple, motor running fine then all at once motor lost power. Ran just enough to get back. While checking out fuel lines I notice some water just outside the front air box cover. Removed cover, tilted motor back and water came out of carbs! Pulled plugs found them wet with water. Drained lower carb of gas, pumped fuel through lines then started motor. It started ran for 5 to 10 seconds then water started coming out of the carbs again. Question: big big problem or money to fix, what could have happened?
Thanks

freddyray21

Commander
Re: Water coming out of carbs

could be a lot of things. start with head gasket, but in reality water getting back to the carbs through the reeds is hard to see, but someone smarter then me will know. Most likely a blown head gasket though.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Disconnect the fuel line from the motor, use the primer bulb to pump some fuel in a glass jar and check for water. Then get back to us.

kfa4303

Banned

I agree. Check the fuel itself for water, of course, but the sudden loss of power sounds like a blown head gasket to me too. Did the motor ever run hot in the past, or have trouble pumping water?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

If the fuel checks out it could be a blown head gasket as said or the exhaust cover gaskets/exhaust cover plates.

ohioriverat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Seems to me some older model motors HAD water running through some sort of air box, i'm to young to remember but i reallyy think you may have one of those engines.

ohioriverat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

This would explain water in the carbs, man i can't remember but they circulated water through the carb /air box/
Nope it was older models,:facepalm: check fuel..

boobie

Supreme Mariner

In my 45 yrs of working on outboards I can't remember any water cooled air boxes. Correct me if I'm wrong.

ohioriverat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

In my 45 yrs of working on outboards I can't remember any water cooled air boxes. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I believe in the 50's omc used warm water to aid the choke system, i hardly can remember but i have cleaned alot of carbs in my life too. i will look it up!

ohioriverat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here you go, i got the first picture i found it's a 1960 40hp once i realized his year model i realized wrong year.
imagesCAYXMF4R.jpg

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Yes, the warm water was for the choke, but not to cool an airbox. We are talking about an entirely different mtr here.

ohioriverat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I mentioned wrong motor after i saw his year/make, i have read your posts and know you are good!! What will make a carb sweat i remember having one that would condense water on the outside but don't remember why
Where is the op?? have you done any tests on it yet???We are hitting the river right after lunch, Good day:cool: