PLEASE HELP 1982 Johnson 9.9 StilJerking under load. Fixed!

I have a 1982 9.9 Johnson. I have been messing with this thing for a week and needles to say I'm frustrated to say the least. http://forums.iboats.com/images/smilies/facepalm.gif This engine has very little time on it. My friend gave it to me after he hit something and broke the bearing carrier. (The part that separates the exhaust from the gear oil) I had it welded back together and re-assembled. When I took it out on the river it skipped under load, by skipped I mean it continues to pull but it feels like you shift it into neutral and back into gear in a split second. Like side-stepping a clutch in a stick shift while it's under load. I just wonder if the prop could cause this symptom. http://forums.iboats.com/images/smilies/confused.gif I have completely gone through the lower unit and everything is just as it should be. The shift rod is properly adjusted. everything has been checked and double checked. I've had this thing apart so many times I think I could tear it down and rebuild it faster than a nascar pit-crew can service a car. lol

Model # J10RCNS

Last edited:

Rick.

Captain
Re: PLEASE HELP 1982 Johnson 9.9 StilJerking under load.

Two things come to mind. It could be your clutch shifter dog is worn or damaged. Try running in reverse and see if it skips. It could be a spun prop but I really doubt it. You can remove the prop and with a felt marker draw a line though the center from prop edge to prop edge. Run it until it skips and remove the prop again and see if the line has moved. You can see a parts breakdown of the gearcase here. http://epc.brp.com/SiteMods/BRP_Pub...ang=E&s1=cdb5bbaf-a4d3-4d78-b140-a8e2e2efa43f Best of luck. Rick.

There's no wear on the clutch dog.

Haffiman

Commander

A couple of things are crucial.
Prop shaft axial play. If that gets too big, what you describe may occur.
Worn shift linkage and craddle gives the same.
Post some pics of your prop-shaft, dog and forward gear.

nwcove

Admiral

id be checking into a spun prop, its easy to confirm it is or isnt the problem. if the motor took a hard enough hit to need welding, the prop should be.....and is the easiest thing to check first.

What is AXIAL play?? It has a little endplay. I have checked everything but the prop and the anount of endplay it has.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

Doesn't sound like the prop...if it slams back into gear again with the force you describe.
I'd be focusing on the dogs, prop shaft, and gears to see if something is bent or damaged or misaligned.

The welding may not have got everything perfectly aligned either....must have been a pretty good impact! :eek:

Pics would help.

End play: 0.0590"(1.5mm)
It has no side to side play

I put it in a barrel and ran it. It wont slip in the barrel. Marked the prop, it doesn't slip in the barrel either.

nwcove

Admiral

i dont think you can re-create normal operating conditions in a barrel. (unless the water you normally run in is full of exhaust gas bubbles)

never thought of that very true

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

There's no wear on the clutch dog.

How did you measure/determine that?

Since you don't seem prepared to take the time to post pics, not much else most of us can offer.

Good luck.

I'd post some pics but I lost my digital camera a few weeks ago while I was on vacation. This isn't the first time I've worked on an outboard engine. I have worked on everything from .49 ci nitro engines all the way up to 852 ci detroit deisels. I'm looking for something that doesn't normally break. I can find nothing that it out of place other than the .059 thousands of an inch endplay in the propshaft. I measured that with a pair of calipers from the shaft to the housing. I manually pulled out on the shaft and by subtracting one measurement from the other I came up with 0.059 thousands.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

I'm looking for something that doesn't normally break. I can find nothing that it out of place other than the .059 thousands of an inch endplay in the propshaft. I measured that with a pair of calipers from the shaft to the housing. I manually pulled out on the shaft and by subtracting one measurement from the other I came up with 0.059 thousands.

Unless you know what it is supposed to be, I am not sure how that measurement helps you. This may be the problem based on the amount of force that was needed to split that casing.
If you don't have a service manual, you need to find someone who does so that you can find out.

Other than that, without pics or answers to the questions you've been asked but not answered, it is hard to add anything from a distance.