Faria Tilt/Trim Gauge working backwards

Ultrium

Seaman Apprentice
Engine - '89 Evinrude 40hp

I just installed a new tilt/trim gauge, which I purchased from ebay. Its a Faria Euro tilt/trim(omc evinrude). I have a wire coming from the tilt/trim unit, which I thought was the signal wire, I have an ignition wire from the control box and a ground wire. When I start the engine and hit the tilt button, to make it go up, the needle on the gauge goes down. When the trim kicks in, going down, the needle goes up. :confused: What is going on with this gauge. If there is any more info that I need to give, please let me know.

Thank you

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Faria Tilt/Trim Gauge working backwards

If you got it off of ebay, it could have been made for a stern drive unit.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Possible the gauge is not what you think it is. The Merc gauges function exactly backwards from the OMC/evinrude. Maybe the seller thought is was an OMC gauge.

Ultrium

Seaman Apprentice

I think boobie hit it on the head. Did some research last night and the gauge was not for an outboard....so I'm guessing its a stern drive gauge. Seems to me it wouldn't make any difference...up is up and down is down, but I don't make the gauges..

boobie

Supreme Mariner

The stern drive gauge just works bass ackwards. Been through this some years ago.