Evinrude fisherman gear shift question

Britcheflee

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have the lower unit off my 6 hp fisherman 1968 - I noticed that the rod that the gear shift mechanism attaches to - the part at the bottom which has the two screws to connect - does not move - I tried to move it up and down to ensure that it was free but it will not budge - is this a problem with something in the gears which connect to the propellor in the very bottom of the lower unit or does this only move when the drive shaft is spinning those lower gears - it was changing gear fine prior to taking it apart - dont want to put it all together to find that this is jammed up.
To further clarify if my description above is inadequate - this is the rod which has the rounded top and a groove in it which sits right beside the lower part of the impeller pump housing.
Thank you,

Lee

Mark3

Cadet
Re: Evinrude fisherman gear shift question

It takes quite a bit of force to overcome the detent without the mechanical advantage of the shift lever. Put it back together.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: Evinrude fisherman gear shift question

Correct - there is a detent spring inside the gearcase that helps hold the motor in gear. The shift rod is not "free" and it does not move easily. It will move with a bit of force, though...