Flooding?

Jbenfowler

Seaman Apprentice
1960 Evinrude Fastwin 18hp (15023)

Runs great. Idles nice and low. Starts on first pull. Dosen't ever die.

But once i get it out on the lake and kill the motor it won't start for about 20-30 minutes. Almost acts like its flooding? Could it be flooding when I kill the motor? After 20- 30 it starts back up on first pull. Its has new coils and dosen't seem to be an ignition problem.

kfa4303

Banned
Re: Flooding?

Hi jbenfowler. The symptoms you mention are classic signs of a damaged ignition. If the coils are new, make sure all of the wires are properly grounded and do not have any frays. they can sometimes become worn as the cam rotates. I would also double check that everything else is properly tightened down under the flywheel. If it was flooding, you would probably see/smell gas pouring out of the carb :/ If you are not seeing or smelling gas, I don't think you're flooding. If you still think it may be flooding, it's worth while to rebuild/examine the carb. The float needle valve may be seating poorly causing some flooding issues. Does the motor seem to be pumping water sufficiently? It may be getting too hot, which could make it difficult to restart. It should kick out a nice even spray at all times. You may also want to give it a good decarb with some Seafoam in case it's compression related. Burning off some of the goop, should help with starting, and after 51 years, I'm sure there is some goop in there. In any event, work on one system at a time so you can systematically eliminate variables as you go. good luck.

Jbenfowler

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the reply. Just 3 weeks ago I completely cleaned and rebuilt the carbs. And like I said... it runs really really well. Has great spark. Starts right up, first try, as long as the motor hasn't been running in the last 20 minutes. It pees really well so I dont think its over heating. I replaced the coils (old ones cracked) about 3 weeks ago as well. The points, condensors and wires looked fine. What would the morot running do to make the ignition system not for for 20 minutes? The ignition thing would make sense to me if it didn't start up so well every time.

nwcove

Admiral

run it for the half hour, try to restart.....if no go, check for spark . that should tell if its an ignition issue.