Outboard only starts cold?

Jbenfowler

Seaman Apprentice
1960 Evinrude 18hp Fastwin (15032)

Starts on the first pull right after we put the boat in and runs great (just rebuilt carb-points-coils)! Drive it around for a while and then stop in the middle of the lake. Once we shut it down it won't start for another 20 minutes or so. We've kind of gotten use to it... we just dont stop until we are ready to be there for about 20-30 minutes. Seems like a really strange problem to me. Even if i try to start it RIGHT after i kill it. No Dice.

BonairII

Commander
Re: Outboard only starts cold?

You probably have a bad coil(s) that malfunction when they get warm. When is the last time they were replaced?

Jbenfowler

Seaman Apprentice

Oh good thought... I got the out board about a month ago (not running) and replaced the coils about a week after that... it was actually the last thing i needed to do before I got it running (and the most expensive) . So the coils are only about 3 weeks old.

BonairII

Commander

Does the motor malfunction at all while it's running...or just after it's been shut down? Bad condenser maybe?

Jbenfowler

Seaman Apprentice

not at all. Runs like a top. Idles well.... even hot. I throttle all the way back and still have to use the kill switch to get her to stop. And if I let it sit for 20 minutes it will start back up with one pull.

BonairII

Commander

I'm thinking it's gotta be something electrical. I owned a 1959(i think)18hp fastwin a few months ago, it ran like a top also. Started 1st pull.

Monte1961

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Dumb question........Is the tank vent open? Just a thought. Post back results.

Jbenfowler

Seaman Apprentice

But what? I like the coils idea... except for they are new. Could the motor be getting to hot and coils don't work at a certain temp? I haven't checked the impeller. But it pees really well and, like i said, I've never had any other problems.

BonairII

Commander

I guess it's possible to get a bad "new" coil. I'm too new to know how to test a coil with a meter, so maybe someone will chime in.

BonairII

Commander

Have you tried running it for just a minute or so..and then tried to restart it? I'm just wondering if it's related to a heat issue or something else.
Is it possible that it is flooding when you turn it off?

Jbenfowler

Seaman Apprentice

Flooding sounds like a decent idea. ... How would I know if it was flooding when I turned it off? Is this a problem people have?

Jbenfowler

Seaman Apprentice

Anyone know about a motor flooding as it's shutting off?

nwcove

Admiral

this is a duplicate post......kinda confusing for those offering help.

kfa4303

Banned

Flooding sounds like a decent idea. ... How would I know if it was flooding when I turned it off? Is this a problem people have?

you will usually see/smell fuel coming out of the front of the carb. however, flooding is unlikely if it starts, runs and idles well. I would think compression and/or electrical.