1986 Evinrude 25 HP lower unit removal, stuck and need help please!

Freshmoney10

Recruit
Hello,

Just purchased a new to me outboard, and I want to change the impeller to make sure I'm good in that department. Trouble is I cannot get the lower unit off due to one little step.

I've researched a little and found what I need to do, but things aren't working as they should....of course.

I've opened up the water intake area and have seperated the upper shifter nut from the lower portion. I understand I should move the upper shifter rod nut up the shaft in order to remove a plastic sleeve that's undernieth in order to slide that nut off the shaft and be able to get the lower unit seperated from the motor.

Trouble is I cannot budge that nut up the shaft to remove the plastic piece benieth, and therefore I'm stuck.

Hope this makes sense, I'm happy to add pictures if need be.

Does anybody know of any tricks to help make this happen? I've done the plyers and hammer thing to know avail.

Thank you very much for any help!!

scanman

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1986 Evinrude 25 HP lower unit removal, stuck and need help please!

What I did was to put a "box-end" wrench, that was about two sizes too small, on it & tap lightly in the upwards direction. When the nut moves up, you should be able to reach, & pry off, the plastic insert. They have a way of takin flight, so keep a close eye on that insert!

Freshmoney10

Recruit

Thanks scanman, that's a great suggestion....but unfortunately still no luck after trying. Felt like I hit it
pretty good too, but it's just not budging. It was tough to get good leverage on it.

crowekamp12

Recruit

there are 4 bolts and then 2 on each side on under that holds trim tab on after you get that one off there is another to find it also under the trim tab then you need to take off shifter rod CBR

Boat Doctor1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
like above=remove all the case bolts to upper exhaust housing (upper case) then trim tab-then look up into the trim tab area for another bolt (hidden in area) then remoce shift shaft connector bolt & lower unit=should drop out!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
This is an old posting-----Are you sure about this trim tab on an 86 model.----And why would it need to be in forward gear. ??????????

Last edited: