1998 200hp Johnson venom stalling on take off

Johnnye1010

Recruit
Hi, this is a repost because I did not get much help the first time around. I have a 1998 200hp Johnson venom. When I first get on the lake it runs great. After 3rd or 4th fishing stop it starts right up and goes into gear but when I give it throttle it stalls and dies. After several attempts it will finally go. Last time out I discovered that if I held the choke in while throttling it would take off right. After discovering this I tried several times without choke and it would stall, then I tried several times with choke and it took off right every time. I have changed fuel filter and primmer bulb and fuel line. Someone told me to set idle a little higher but that didnt work, there was no water or trash in gas system. Any help would be great......thanx,,,Johnny

BonairII

Commander
Re: 1998 200hp Johnson venom stalling on take off

Have you serviced the carbs?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Do the carbs. When you push in the primer/choke you are by passing the carbs giving the mtr more fuel.

Johnnye1010

Recruit

In February I had kits put in all carbs. Didnt seem to help.

daselbee

Commander

There are brass tubes that extend down into the bowl from the top casting of the carb. They are called pickup tubes, pullover tubes, emulsion tubes...etc. Whatever you call them, they tend to clog with fuel gum and resin.

They are the sole source of gasoline for the idle and midrange carb circuits.

I would be looking very carefully at those tubes, making absolutely sure they are free and clear, especially since you state that pressing the key in helps the situation by enriching the mix when you go to accelerate.

Simply putting a kit in the carb does not ensure that the mechanic cleaned those tubes.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Take the carbs back off and go through them with a " fine tooth comb ". You have to understand the circuits in a carb to clean them properly. Also the circuits in the throttle bodies should be checked.