Stalling from forward to reverse - Johnson 130HP

mglanzro

Cadet
Hi All,

I have a 2000 130HP Johnson Outboard. I had a question about my motor stalling. Seems like if I'm running at very low speed (getting ready to pull up to an island), I shift to neutral and I shift into reverse too quickly, my engine will stall. It's not a critical problem as the engine fires right up after I throw it back to neutral but didn't know if this was common, if it's something you just have to live with, or if it is a problem I should be concerned about. Is it a rule to always shift into reveerse as slow as possible? It also stalled when I first launched from the marina the other day after a cold startup but I'm thinking I didn't let it warm up enough. If I shift into gear very slowly and lightly, it seems to like this better. I've only had the boat for about a month. Other than that, everything is fine (knock on wood).

A friend of mine said this was a reed valve problem. I don't know much about engines so was just getting everyone's advise.

Thanks!
Mike

hidef

Lieutenant
Re: Stalling from forward to reverse - Johnson 130HP

More likely it is dirty carbs. I would suggest you get 4 carb kits and clean and rebuild them.

BRP part # is 437327 ? CARBURETOR REPAIR KIT

Haffiman

Commander

What is your idle rpm when the boat is in forward gear, boat not tied up?
Should be about7- 800rpm.
When shifting, do it quick, t should only be one 'knock' when it engages.

mglanzro

Cadet

So it's better to shift gears quickly then slowly?

What is your idle rpm when the boat is in forward gear, boat not tied up?
Should be about7- 800rpm.
When shifting, do it quick, t should only be one 'knock' when it engages.

Haffiman

Commander

For the gearbox, yes.