1977 johnson 70 hp no spark

dvav340

Recruit
i am trying to help a friend get this running there is no spark when i crank but i can disconnect the black/yellow stripe wire and it fires right up so i thought it is the switch but i replaced with a sierra mp39760 which says it replaces 508180omc but on the back they are labeled different all are a match except afew here is what the sierra is labeled mag =black/yel ,mag ground=black, battery=red, solenoid=yellow/red , ignition=purple ,choke=yellow black , acc=purple/white
the omc is mag =black/yel ,mag ground=black, battery=red, solenoid=yellow/red , acc =purple, choke=purple /white
the sierra doesnt have a pin for the acc and the colours dont all match up so hooked up the ones that match then the ignition to the one that was on the acc [purple] and the choke to the purple /white but it didnt work, also i cant see any cuts or rubbed through spots on the harness but i noticedthe harness has what looks like a melted pattern on the outside it looks spiraled so i cut a strip of the sheathing and some of the wires are all separated but a few seem stuck together but only seem like the plastic is touching should i just bypass the black and yellow wire and run a new one beside the harness and if it works just tape it all up thanks for any input

ADK_Boater

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1977 johnson 70 hp no spark

I would recommend returning that key switch and getting one with the appropriate number of prongs. Then wire it up according to the wiring diagram for that specific motor. That's what I did, and it worked perfectly.