Wrong power pack?

SirEnvy

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Okay, months ago I needed help with my boat motor, basically it wasnt going past a certain RPM and the speed wasnt there....so i replaced the powerpack with an identical one that was on there already. All is good, so far. Sooo, months later I saw on ebay the same motor I have: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250875722514&viewitem= and notice where the powerpack was located. I quickly caught my attention and so I went to check my motor and sure enough the bracket is on the same side of motor, just like the one picture(power pack is the big blue thing on the side)......so right now I am assuming that when I bought the motor the person used the wrong powerpack and slapped it on there. The powerpack I have now is located on the other side underneath my flywheel. I was able to bolt it on, but my retainer clip gets in the way....make a long story short. My boat starts up, and hits the RPM that I had lost before. My question is this:

Does having the wrong powerpack, really make that big of a difference? It starts up fine after running for awhile, cold starts give me trouble. I hit about 5500-5900RPM, and cruise at about 38MPH on my 89' Sportcraft C/C with an aftermarket T-Top.....any thoughts would be helpful. I am thinking why fix it if it aint broke, or should I spend the 200 dollars and get it fixed...

sorry about the long text. Thank you!

Re: Wrong power pack?

Well....., the power pack isn't really rocket science. It turns on a transistor (i.e. switch) when a signal from the timer base reaches a certain voltage, which fires the proper plug. A '92 power pack would also include quick-start which advances the timing a few degrees while the engine warms up, SLOW mode which limits the engine to 2500 rpm if an overheat condition is detected, and a rev limiter.

Do you know what model the power pack is from that you've got? Do you know if yours has these features?

Personally, I'd think if you're satisfied with how it runs then leave well enough alone. If it doesn't have SLOW mode I'd at least check to make sure your overheat alarms work (it would be a good idea to verify that regardless).

One more thought. Is it possible there was a change in configuration part way throught the model year?

SirEnvy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

To be honest with you, I dont know if I have overheat alarms. The powerpack I got was this one:http://www.boats.net/parts/detail/brp/B-0583816.html but I just happened to stumble upon that motor and saw where the powerpack was placed. And mine is not there but has the bracket for it. But, the model of the power pack is different, as in the shape of it.

The motor runs much better after I ended up putting the motor on and I have ran it since installation.

guy74

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The motor in the pics on ebay isn't a 1992, can be a 1991 at the latest and only part of the 1991's are like that according to my research. What is the model number on your motor?

SirEnvy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I did the research too and I think you are right...the 92' ignition is not the same as the one in the picture. The powerpack # I have on currently is: 0584044 which subseded 0583816.

Which makes me wonder even more if my cables that connect to the powerpack would even reach to the other side, if you know what I mean. I will have to take a better look at it tomorrow in the day light. I am taking it out tomorrow anyway.

guy74

I finally ran the number down on the pack you are using, comes back to 1989 150hp.

SirEnvy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Odd...I know I have a Frankenstein motor so nothing would shock me anymore. I only paid 700 for it and it runs fine as of now(knocks on wood). But I dont know why my motor would have the bracket for installation of a powerpack like as in the picture. And, also makes me think I may have got the wrong one because the powerpack i have on now is a 3 bolt system and i only have fastened with 2 bolts..........interesting, now I am def. going to have to take a look tomorrow.

I'll take pictures tomorrow and upload to show you guys exactly what i'm talking about....

guy74

Yep, you might just have a "franken-motor", lol. Welcome to the club! I had to make a bracket to mount the 1989 electronics, onto the 1987 block in my 88hp johnson/100hp evinrude hybrid. I have a factory manual that covers the 150-175hp motors in 1989, and in the pics, I can tell that the pack is bolted on with all 3 bolts on the top of the 150. The 175 is pictured with the T-shaped pack mounted on the starboard side. I bet the packs both plug into the same wires, and the cylinder arangment is the same, hence the 150 pack was able to reach all coils when mounted up on top off to the port side. The timer base and stator are interchangable between the 150 and the 175 so the wires should reach if you decide to put the "proper" pack on the side. I think I would run it as is, until I needed to change the pack, can't hurt anything. I think both packs have quickstart and S.L.O.W. on them so that may not be an issue.
Hope I was able to help!

Last edited:

SirEnvy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yep, you might just have a "franken-motor", lol. Welcome to the club! I had to make a bracket to mount the 1989 electronics, onto the 1987 block in my 85hp johnson/100hp evinrude hybrid. I have a factory manual that covers the 150-175hp motors in 1989, and in the pics, I can tell that the pack is bolted on with all 3 bolts on the top of the 150. The 175 is pictured with the T-shaped pack mounted on the starboard side. I bet the packs both plug into the same wires, and the cylinder arangment is the same, hence the 150 pack was able to reach all coils when mounted up on top off to the port side. The timer base and stator are interchangable between the 150 and the 175 so the wires should reach if you decide to put the "proper" pack on the side. I think I would run it as is, until I needed to change the pack, can't hurt anything. Both packs have quickstart and S.L.O.W. on them so that isn't an issue.
Hope I was able to help!

Are you kidding me? You have been GREAT help man! I am just glad I was able to get someone who is familiar with what situation I am in. The powerpack does sit on top rather then the side, but I can only use 2 bolts instead of the 3. I have to use the same bolt that is being used for my retainer clip.

I will just keep what I have, and if I ever need to change it, I will just slap the right pack on, and the wires should reach. I hope you didnt mean I would have to change the stator and timer base in order to use the proper pack. That wouldnt make financial sense since its an older outboard. :D