100hp evinrude 1971 motor

mrsfisherman

Cadet
Well start from the begining. Motor was givin to me and was told that it ran when the boat was parked 10 yrs ago, well wont run. Friends think that it is stuck in forward. Im really new at this so iv been told its a hydro-electric shift, 100hp, and thats about all I know. Have read that it has to be in neutral to start, but where do I start to see if i can get this old gal to run. Steps would be great is anyone can help.
:confused:

mrsfisherman

Cadet
Re: 100hp evinrude 1971 motor

Well got the motor to go into reverse and neutral but a hickup, it returns to forward when key is off. Is this normal but can't get it into forward with key on??? Please help

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Yes, you have a hydro-electric lower unit. The lower unit defaults to forward with loss of voltage to the lower unit, it takes the engine running and voltage to the lower unit to get neutral and reverse. When the key is off and engine not running it will be in forward gear.

mrsfisherman

Cadet

Thank you daviet. I have been trying to get some info an bein having a hard time getting any response. The motor seems like it should run but its not sparking. :rolleyes: now we finally got it to go into neutral now we have noticed there is no spark. Any advice?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

How did you get it in neutral without the engine running, it should be in forward.

mrsfisherman

Cadet

By cranking it, but slips back into forward as soon as you stop cranking it.

mrsfisherman

Cadet

I just can't seem to find the steps to find out why it wont start any help is fabulous.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

OK, that makes sense. Below is a parts breakdown of your ign system, as you can see there are a lot of componets in the ign system. Since the engine sat so long I would start by removing the flywheel and cleaning the points and checking the gap. Take a good look at the dist cap and rotor, make sure the contacts are clean. Going from there can be tough, might be time to get a factory manual and use the trouble shooting section to check out your system.
You might try going to the CDI website and see if they have any trouble shooting guides for your engine.
http://www.ishopmarine.com/ishop/js...nown&isFrPG=false&forItemCode=&pCode=C0091930

mrsfisherman

Cadet

Thanks now I have somewhere to start. Have a manual, will look again. Will give it a try tomorrow. Thanks again. Keep you posted:)

Sander

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have the same outboard as you. Have you checked/changed the gear lube?