Cleaning / rebuilding Carbs

GTMODawg

Cadet
I am ordering the carb rebuild kit for my '95 Johnson 90 Horse and I have two questions. Does one kit have everything needed to do both carbs or do I have o buy two kits? I have tried to call the place where I have found the parts and I am having trouble getting them on the phone (it is tough to call the states from here a lot of times). It is the BRP Kit that I am planning on buying.

My second question is about adjusting the carbs once I get them cleaned and rebuilt. Everything that I see about rebuilding them seems to suggest that eveything should just be tightened snugly but that seems strange for a carburetor. I re-buld and clean the carb on my Kawasaki generator (4 stroke) on a fairly regular basis and I always write down the number or turns when I take the jets out and it runs fine afteward (I forgot to do it once and I had a heck of a time getting it to run again).

And one more question. I checked the fuel buld when I got the boat back to the gunk hole this morning (Hurricane Irene is bearing down on Hispanola as we speak and looks like it is heading straight for Cuba) and with the fitting taken off the end of the line it pumps fuel fine when I pump it. That doesen't necessarily mean though that the valve in the bulb is working, right? This is the issue that has me in the process of rebuilding the carbs, the bulb will never tighten up. It seems like fuel is merelt running back into the tank when the bulb is mashed instead of going to the engine. I am going to rebuild the carbs anyway but is it worth the effort to try another bulb to see if this is the problem? I have dialed in the Permit pretty well and I hate to get off of them for a few weeks until the carb kits get here!!!!

Thanks for all of the help!!!

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Cleaning / rebuilding Carbs

If the bulb never tightens up its usually a sign that the needle and seat are bad and not closing letting fuel continue to flow into the bowl.

Good news new needle and seat are in the kit. And one kit will do one carb.