1958 Johnson 10HP Motor Cover Installation

kmk89

Seaman
I have a 1958 Johnson 10HP Model QD-19 that I recently got running thanks to the iboats forum. My only trouble is that the motor cover (the hard metal shell kind) does not fit right on the motor. It is the original motor cover, but it sits slanted forward when I put it on and does not sit level. Its not a huge problem, except when ever I lift the motor out of the water, it pops off. Is there a special procedure to putting this on? I can never get all the rubber stops to line up in the correct position. If i put the back part of the shell on first, the back rubber stops fit, but I cannot slide the front over the control assembly panel of the high/low speed adjustments. If I put the front on first, the back rubber stops do not line up with the stops on the engine. Either way, the cover never goes on. Also, I cannot figure out with the rubber strap piece under the cover is supposed to attach to. Any help is greatly appreciated.

jbjennings

Captain
Re: 1958 Johnson 10HP Motor Cover Installation

You should have a black rubber gasket around the belly pan that the cowl sits on. You hold up the back section, slide the front section straight into the front of the motor. There should be plenty of room. The two rubber bumpers on the front of the motor should slide into the sockets on the cowl. The strap should have a hole in the end that slides over a pin that sticks up off the recoil starter cover and acts as a safety catch as far as I know. It's not necessary to have it on, but makes it less likely to lose your cowl overboard were you to detach it when in the boat. The last part is to drop the back cowl half and buckle the sides together.
hope this helps,
JBJ

I could probably post some pics if necessary. Just be sure to bring the front cowl section straight into the engine. You'll have to work the recoil pull through the opening in the cowl but it should be no biggie.
JBJ

kmk89

Seaman

I found out that the manual recoil starter is actually not the original to the 10HP, it goes to a 18HP i believe, and that is why the cover does not go on the way it should. Do you have any idea where i could get an original 10HP one?

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

The 18 starter is different - the rope plate is larger diameter as the 18 has a larger flywheel. Someone may have mixed and matched parts, as the 18 recoil housing will fit the 10's guts... In any case, if the 18 if from a '58 & prior, it ought to have the same boss for the strap.

Do you have the rubber cowling bumpers in place, fore and aft? How about some pics - there's a chance if your recoil is incorrect that some other pieces may have been messed with during the nearly 55 years your motor has been around...

kfa4303

Banned

I found out that the manual recoil starter is actually not the original to the 10HP, it goes to a 18HP i believe, and that is why the cover does not go on the way it should. Do you have any idea where i could get an original 10HP one?

ebay and the marine slavage yards listed in the STicy at the top of the forum are good places to check.