new weird starting issue/Idle timing

adk_vfr

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1990 90hp johnson motor and yesterday I took the boat out after doing a bunch of work rebuilding carb,setting timing and basically adjusting all the linkage. everything was pretty good. I still have a funky idle but runs great once your going. So stopped and fished for a while and when I tried to start it wouldnt fire pulled plugs totally dry and I had been choking it too. So I kept trying to crank it and nothing till i remembered the little red lever for manual starting so I opened the lever and when I did I heard a rush of air closed it back up hit the key and it fired right up till I stalled it and had to repeat the process. The weird thing is I never had this problem before so I must have done something. One other thing i set the WOT timing using the joe reeves method and it was perfect at Wot but when I checked it at idle in gear it doesnt look right seems very retarded how can the idle timing be adjusted without changing the Wot timing. Also if anyone knows the the wot and idle timing specs on this motor please post so i can check my work. thankyou for all your help.

adk_vfr

Seaman Apprentice
Re: new weird starting issue/Idle timing

Is it possible maybe there eS just air in the system