Low power until on plane???

BigBassin78

Seaman
When I first bought this boat two weeks ago, it had issues with not getting on plane(1978 115 evinrude, model#115899C), Service guy said rebuild carbs. So I did and that did the trick, very powerful, gets on plane quickly and flies on the water. Compression on the cylinders ran 121-125 between all four.

Now, today, me and my buddy are on the water and the it starts doing the same thing. Once I got the boat on plane with my buddy at the bow it would slowly pick up and then would max out at about 40 when the tilt was tuned to the right angle. Before it would do about 50 with 4 people in it and tilted further in.

So, I look the motor over and I find that the advance timing linkage is hanging unconnected. The little plastic ball socket that retains the linkage rod was broken and could not be fixed at that moment. I suppose this could be the issue, right? Could it still run with this linkage disconnected? At a fraction of the power? Giving the importance of the timing advance I was surprised that it even ran, let alone 40mph.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: Low power until on plane???

It will run that way, where the timing advance stopped would have an effect on preformance.

retiredfornow

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yup, that'll do it. The ball and socket on mine broke, ran like poop. Put new ones on, cheap, a few bucks. Good luck.

BigBassin78

Seaman

indeed was the advance linkage. I super glued the piece back until the new one comes in. Its running like a top again. Still has a little trouble getting on plane though. I think it has to do with weight distribution though. It is very stern heavy. Seats are close to stern, two batteries, large aluminum fuel tank, bucket of tools, and somewhat full dry storage with anchor among other things. There is no front storage, just a livewell. THis is a light 16' bass boat though. I know there is a slow leak somewhere, hopefully around the thru-hull drain and intake ports. Do you think there could be hidden weight like water logged wood and foam. The motor is strong and will do about 55 being loaded and just me on it. Im pretty sure its not the motor. What do you guys think??? has stock 19 pitch by 13 diameter prop.