1994 70hp johnson alarm

cecil0013

Cadet
My alarm is sounding a solid beep. Even after sitting for several days, just turning the key on the alarm will sound. I have taken the fuel line off the output side of the fuel filter and squeezed the bulb. The flow seems fine and the fuel (captured in a glass) did not separate, so not water in the fuel. I hooked up the muffs and started the motor (it started right up and runs great) to see if the impeller was working. Water was shooting out of the jet, so no restriction in water flow. I disconnected and reconnected the battery to see if it would reset, it did not. I was on the water when this happened and ran it about 10-15 minutes to get back to the ramp. It shut off for about 2-3 minutes when at idle and then picked back up. Any thoughts? Thanks

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1994 70hp johnson alarm

Normally a solid horn is an overheat signal. If the engine is in fact not overheating I wounder if the sensor is malfunctioning. Remove the sensor wire at the sensor and see if the horn goes off, if so you have a bad sensor. If the horn continues to sound with the sensor disconnected you might have a short in the sensor wire to the horn.

cecil0013

Cadet

I am very new to boating. I have had this boat for only 6 months, and I do not have a manual. Would you mind telling me where the sensor is? Thanks

cecil0013

Cadet

I found 2 wires, cream/blue stripe and white/black stripe. When I disconnect the cream/blue the alarm goes off but comes back on when reconnected. When I disconnect the white/black wire the alarm stays steady

df12051

Cadet

When you were on the water with the buzzer going did the engine drop into SLOW mode not allowing it to go into high RPMS? I had sort of the same problem with a '93 70 horse Evinrude. Alarm came on and wouldn't go off even with a cold engine. Changed sensor and still doing it after about 10 minutes on the water New water pump and thermostat ans still the alarm went of again after about 10 minutes on water. Even had steam coming from pee hole. Always engine dropped into slow mode. At least the sensor was working correctly and saving the engine from running hot. Then while on the water having it happen again shut down drifted a bit and restarted - no alarm but the engine "sneezed" and sense then no alarm or over heat. I think a mud dubber nest was in my water circulation and the water pressure etc blew it out.

cecil0013

Cadet

The engine ran fine. If it wasn't for the alarm, I would not have noticed anything wrong.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

I don't have a manual in front of me, but I think the cream/blue wire is for the temp horn and the white/black wire goes to the power pack, maybe for the slow mode.

cecil0013

Cadet

Can this still mean a bad sensor? With the impeller still working, and the engine running great, I'm hoping that it is not an overheating issue but a sensor problem.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

With the engine running good and not overheating, I would think that the sensor is your problem. Understand that I am working from memory and some people that know me don't trust my memory as far as they can throw me. It would probably be a good idea to get the factory manal for your engine, it will help you troubleshoot and repair your engine.

cecil0013

Cadet

Thank you Daviet. I not only appreciate your help and time, but also the timely fashion with your responses. Looking back at this thread, I realize you have helped narrow down this problem in less than an hour. Thank you very much!

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

You're welcome. Everybody here will help whenever they can.