1991 150 hp johnson

jonahcassidy

Recruit
motor dies after about 1 mile of motoring. Fires right back up and runs fine but dies again after about a mile. The overheat alarm has never sounded when it dies. but alarm sound (constant beep) when i started it after sitting on the river for 4 hours and alarm stopped as soon i turned off engine. Can someone please help

fireman57

Captain
Re: 1991 150 hp johnson

Make sure that your fuel tank is vented. don't just assume that it is loosen the cap. if the problem goes away then fing the wasp nest or whatever is clogging the air vent.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

OMC made two distinctly different 150's that year, the crossflow and the looper engines. Would be helpful if you post the model number of the engine so we know which you have.... There are two things which will give you a constant horn on the crossflows. A powerhead overheat. Excessively high fuel line vacuum. If it's the vacuum switch setting off the horn, that might indicate the engine has a fuel restriction somewhere in the system.

jonahcassidy

Recruit

emdsapmgr, model number is J150ELEIS. thanks for the advice. I really apreciate it

jonahcassidy

Recruit

fireman57, thanks for the reply, I will check the vent on fuel tank and take a run with the cap loose

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Your engine is a 60 degree looper engine. You can perform a quick test to see what warning device is causing the horn. You can disconnect the wiring to the temp switches in the head, then disconnect the vacuum switch. If the horn deactivates when either is disconnected, you have located your problem. Then you need to trobleshoot to determine if the warning is valid or if the switch/sensor is bad.