Starting procedure general check

Daniel95945

Recruit
I was given a boat with a Evinrude 35530 L s/n 04128. Inknow nothing about outboard motors. I do know if the engine will start or how long it had been sitting. Before I purchase a manual and get greasy I would like to start it and gain some idea of what I'm up agaist if I decide to invest my time Ns money into motor. I'm familiar with 4 stroke car & small 2 stroke engines. I just found out I need to put the tail of the engine in water before starting. I did NOT know this so I better ask before starting it...
Question what is the proper starting sequence? If it does start anything specific I should look for re: general health of engine? I've read there is supposed to be a stream of water coming from the tail? Any help apprciated. Thanks all hope to see you soon on the water...

fireman57

Captain
Re: Starting procedure general check

Make sure that you have water at least halfway up the midsection. Run it in a trash can not on muffs. Do not rev it much above idle if it does start. Pull the plugs and check the compression. They should be within 10% of each other and I would want a minimum of 90psi. If you have tried to start it very much without water you have probably damaged the water pump.