Driver coil check

toybuilder039

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Can anyone explain to me how you can check the driver coil on a 1975 25hp evinrude thanks

fireman57

Captain
Re: Driver coil check

What are you calling the driver coil? If it is the coil to a spark plug check your spark. If only one cylinder has spark physically swap them along with the plug wires and see if the problem follows that coil. If it does just replace the bad coil.

toybuilder039

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I am talking about the part that is under the flywheel and picks up on the magnet not the ignition coils that have the plug wires

toybuilder039

Petty Officer 3rd Class

It says it is the coil and lamination it has one wire going to each set of points and is the part that picks up on the magnet

toybuilder039

Petty Officer 3rd Class

That was a very helpful video for ignition coils but i am needing help with the one that feeds those

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Half of the driver coil could be bad as it feeds both set points. Also check both condensers.

toybuilder039

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Is there a way to test the driver coil and how do you check the condenser

boobie

Supreme Mariner

You have to have an OEM manaul for specs and an ohmmeter to check the driver coil. Most shops have coil/condenser testers but the best thing to do is just replace the condenser. If you find a good dlr they could also check out the driver coil for you.

toybuilder039

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ok I will try new points and condensors tommorow and see if that fixes my problem. I alreadry checked both ignition coils and they are good so I guess if the points and condensors dont fix it must be the driver coil.