1972 Johnson 85hp, Can't seem to get fuel to cylinders.

ADK_Boater

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey Everybody,
Here's an update/new problem with my '72 Johnson 85hp.
I think I have some kind of fuel delivery problem. I can't get it to fire up yet.
I cleaned every orifice in my carbs, inspected the float needle and seat, set the float level, then reinstalled them. When I had them off I peered in the motor with a flashlight, and my reed-valves looked fine (no problems that I could see). Could it be that they are not allowing fuel to reach the cylinders?
When I squeezed the primer bulb, premix flowed freely up into the float bowls (I checked to make sure). I had the vent open on the fuel tank. I choked it , and cranked it over a few times. I didn't even get a pop.
I pulled one of the plugs to see if there was fuel in the cylinder and I didn't smell much of anything. I checked the rest of the plugs, and one of them smelled faintly of gas, and a thin wisp of vapor came out of the cylinder, but not much. All lines are reconnected.

Here's what I'm thinkin'. Maybe I don't have the carbs adjusted properly. These carbs don't have low speed needles. There are two plug screws in the front of each carb. I checked the exploded parts diagram to make sure that was correct for the year. when I took the carbs apart the plugs were tight. I have no idea if the last guy who had the motor had them set correctly. I tried backing them our a full turn and trying again, but still nothing. So, how is it that the air fuel mixture would flow properly to the cylinder. The plugs being tight makes me think that there wouldn't be much of a draw.
My other thought is that I need to have the throttle opened more. The controls are from an Evinrude that had to be rewired so that the proper voltage was delivered to the correct wire for FNR. I have the push button in nuetral when I'm cranking it over. But, I have the throttle at the point where it says "start" on the control box panel, which is actually a fully closed throttle.
Could that be my problem? I'm probably going to at least try advancing the throttle some today, and see what happens.

If anyone has any suggestions , then I would love to hear them. I ran into a guy who's a marine mechanic, and all he said was to throw the motor off the back of the boat (Thanks a lot buddy!:facepalm:...It's still on the trailer anyway).
What would you guys suggest I do next?...besides the white anchor suggestion...LOL.
I'm confused but I'll keep you all updated.
Thanks Everyone! It'll fire up one of these days!

fireman57

Captain
Re: 1972 Johnson 85hp, Can't seem to get fuel to cylinders.

The screw in the front bottom of the carb is a drain screw. There is no adjustment to them. Take them out and pump your primer bulb and make sure that fuel comes out of eachof them. Sounds like you have your float set too high and no fuel is gettng in there.

ADK_Boater

Petty Officer 1st Class

The floats are set to spec...that is to say they are set even with the carburetor body when it is inverted. I can double check the plugs on the front of the carbs to see if fuel runs out, but I think my problem is elsewhere.

eavega

Lieutenant

Try spraying premix into the carb when trying to start. If you get a cough or an attempt to start, then its fuel delivery from the carb back. Plugged orifice somewhere in the carburetor, stuck needle valve, etc. If you are getting nothing, then you possibly have something other than a fuel problem. Check spark. Make sure you are making spark when trying to start up the motor. If you are not getting spark then you may have a problem with the neutral safety switch, or your ignition switch, or any one of the more complicated electrical components on that motor.

Rgds

Eric

ADK_Boater

Petty Officer 1st Class

I tested spark to all four spark plugs. There is no problem there.
I did a very good job of cleaning my carbs. I've cleaned carburetors before, and I have a good idea what I'm doing. I also watched videos on how to and read my manual beforehand.

The simple fact is that there really is not fuel in the cylinders. I'm starting to think that I need to advance the throttle. With every other outboard I've had, there is a fast idle lever. Since this one has the push button shift, there is no fast idle lever. there is only the throttle. Since FNR is controlled by switches on the control box, then as long as it is in neutral, I don't see any reason why I cannot advance the throttle lever. In fact I may go try that right now.

Feel free to throw out any suggestions.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

You should be able to advance the throttle lever to gain a fast idle, to a point, you can only advance it a little.

EDIT: Just reread your post, some one must have installed an evinrude control box in your boat. The johnson control box should have an red or orange warm up lever, and does not have push buttons to shift.

ADK_Boater

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for responding Daviet. I was hoping you would chime in because you've been right about everything else so far.
I'm charging my battery right now 'cuz I ran it down a bit trying to start the motor for the past week. Once it's charged, I'll advance the throttle a little, that should open the butterfly valve enough to allow the air/fuel mixture to be drawn into the cylinders.

I'll update everybody again after I put the battery back in and crank it over with the throttle advanced some.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

That's not quite right, by advancing the throttle you should only be advancing the timing, the throttle plates should move very little if any at all. What kind of cranking RPM are you getting, if the engine does not spin 300 or so RPM while cranking it can cause problems.

ADK_Boater

Petty Officer 1st Class

I see. Thank you. That clears that up.
I'm not sure about the RPM's because I don't have a tach wired up. I crank it over with the cover off, and it appears from casual observation to spin about as fast as I would expect.

It's a thunderstorm here right now so I may have to wait till tomorrow to try again since I don't have a garage (probably should let the battery charge more too).

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Keep us informed.