1976 Evinrude 55 hp 55673E - Water tube to adapter grommet

TLewis

Cadet
I'm currently working on the water tube connections in my exhaust housing.

1) There's a couple simple but important parts that are listed as unavailable. Does anyone know where I can get these items?

- 315859 Tube to Adapter Grommet
- 317559 Adapter Plug

2) It also appears that the water tube bracket (315838) in the gear case was missing. The previous owner had a jet drive installed on the lower unit. Has anyone heard of leaving this bracket off for any reason?

3) On the same subject, the lower unit is the long version which seems to be less popular for some reason. I almost trashed the tube taking the lower unit off. The long tube also looks to be unavailable. Does anyone know where to get this item?
- 315863 Long Water Tube

Thank you.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1976 Evinrude 55 hp 55673E - Water tube to adapter grommet

Look in the "top Secret File", there is a list of salvage yards there, some of them have some hard to find parts. Give some of them a call and see if they can help you out.

TLewis

Cadet

Thanks Daviet. I don't mean to expose my ignorance, but what is the "top secret file"?

TLewis

Cadet

The grommet has been replaced by two washers in late 80's'

I found the grommet, but I'm still curious about the two washers. Are these rubber washers? Can I just cut a piece of automotive hose if it fits the hole (and tube) and gets compressed?

The plug as far as I remember may be replaced with an umbraco plug fro a hardware store. Just make threads and screw in with L.oc-Tite.

I don't recall taking out a plug from the adapter. Can you tell me where this plug goes and what it's made of? I'm attaching a couple pics of my adapter and water tube.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Watertube_to_Adapter_1.JPG
    Watertube_to_Adapter_1.JPG
    78.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Watertube_to_Adapter_2.JPG
    Watertube_to_Adapter_2.JPG
    78.9 KB · Views: 0