Fuel Bulb Question

GTMODawg

Cadet
I am having a problem with the fuel bulb for my 1995 Johnson 90 HP. It will not get tight when it is pumped. For the last few days it would get tight eventually if I would point in the opposite direction of the indicating arrows but now all it does when I do that is make a sloshing sound in the tank. It obviously must be replaced and I have ordered it, new lines, tank fittings, water separator and fuel line filter. Unfortunately it will take 3 weeks minimum to get it here in paradise and I have just recently gotton on the Permit in respectable numbers and hate to lose contact with them for 3 weeks. Is there any way to take the bulbs apart and repair them?

I have noticed in the last week or so that the engine won't idle (it is not possible to go from forward to reverse without the engine dying) and it does not have the same top end that it had just a few weeks ago (it will no loger plane the boat and is sort of "plowing" along). Could this be related to the fuel bulb "leaking" down? It seems like a fuel problem, but I always thought that the bulb was basically meant to get fuel to the engine until it was running and then the fuel pump could take over. Does the bulb malfunctioning affect this operation? It seems like it would, but only if the bulb "valves" were sticking closed or partially closed....if they are sticking open (not getting tight) will this starve the engine of fuel?

If I am going to be down for three weeks I was thinking that I would rebuild the fuel tanks. Is this necessary? They seem to be "airtight" in that they don't leak fuel no matter what orientation they find themselves in. I have turned them over full of fuel in every direction in the last few weeks due to having to truck fuel to the boat because our marina fuel pump is not working. These are just simple plastic portable fuel tanks. Is there anything in them other than the gauge float that can go bad? I think there is only a tube running to the bottom of the tank for fuel pickup and nothing in the tank to replace. Is this the case? Is there a filter over the end of that tube? Is it necessary to replace it generally speaking?

I appreciate all of your assistance. Thanks!!!

hidef

Lieutenant
Re: Fuel Bulb Question

Your chasing the wrong component. If the primer bulb won't get firm you have a fuel leak past the bulb. It sounds like your carbs are dirty and you have sticky float valve. If the float valve doesn't close properly gas will continue to poor into the float bowl has you pump the primer bulb. As you pump the primer bulb look for fuel leaks under the cowl also. I have responded to your other thread on how to properly hook up a set of controls.

GTMODawg

Cadet

Thanks again!! I will check this out. It would actually be better if this were the case because I can use the trolling motor to the landing, trailer the boat home and take the Carbs off and clean them without waiting for any parts!!!! Theoretically that means that I could clean the carbs, get the boat running, set my crab trap this evening and have plenty of bait in the morning~!!!! Life is good....

rude1

Cadet

If you haven't already you have to change the primer bulb back to it's original position, the arrow has to point to the engine. It has a check valve that keeps the gas from flowing back to the tank.